Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

How Do You Preach The Gospel to Yourself?

Jerry Bridges gives us a great summary of the Gospel:

This then is the gospel with which we need to become thoroughly familiar and that we need to preach to ourselves every day. Jesus by His death and shed blood completely satisfied the justice of God and the claims of His broken law. By His perfect obedience He positively fulfilled the requirements of the law. Thus in both its precepts and penalty, the law of God in its most exacting requirements was fulfilled by Jesus. And He did this in our place as our representative and our substitute.”[1]

So what does it mean to “preach the Gospel to yourself”?   Again Jerry Bridges gives us some great help.  Here’s is my summary:

The certain hope I have today is the historic reality that I “… like sheep, have gone astray, [I have] turned to [my] own way; and the Lord has laid on him [my] iniquity” (Isaiah 53:6, NIV).

I believe that “Christ redeemed [me] from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for [me], for it is written: ‘Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole’” (Galatians 3:13, NIV); and I believe that “When [I was] dead in [my] sins and in the uncircumcision of [my] flesh, God made [me] alive with Christ. He forgave [me] all our sins” (Colossians 2:13, NIV). In this act of my Savior “as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed [my] transgressions from [me]” (Psalm 103:12, NIV).

God’s Word to me is this: ““I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more” (Isaiah 43:25, NIV). Consequently “there is now no condemnation for [me because I am] in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1, NIV).

Therefore today I take at face value that “I am blessed because my ‘transgressions are forgiven, [my] sins are covered. I am blessed because I am one whose sin the Lord will never count against [me]’” (Romans 4:7–8, NIV).

I am absolutely certain that “he has reconciled [me] by Christ’s physical body through death to present [me] holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation” (Colossians 1:22, NIV). 


"To preach the gospel to yourself, then, means that you continually face up to your own sinfulness and then flee to Jesus through faith in His shed blood and righteous life."




[1] Bridges, Jerry (2014-02-01). The Discipline of Grace: God's Role and Our Role in the Pursuit of Holiness (p. 58). NavPress. Kindle Edition.

No comments: