Search This Blog

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Imitation Is The Highest Form of Flattery or A Recipe for Disaster!

3 John 11–12 (NIV),

11 Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good. Anyone who does what is good is from God. Anyone who does what is evil has not seen God. 12 Demetrius is well spoken of by everyone—and even by the truth itself. We also speak well of him, and you know that our testimony is true.

"Again one of John’s syllogisms is applied to Diotrephes in contradistinction to Demetrius a real believer, and probably another bishop in the congregation or community." [1]  Briefly, this is what is being said:

Imitate good - good is from God
Imitate Demetrius - Truth commends Demetrius

Don't imitate evil - evil doesn't know God
Don't imitate Diotrephes - Truth does not commend him

Who is this Demetrius.  Well we don't know.  He is spoken of as if Gaius will certainly know him, though.  He is commended and it is inferred that Gaius should follow his example as opposed to Diotrephes.   "Anyone who does what is evil has not seen God." "'Not seen' is in the perfect tense in the original, and emphasizes the negative certainty of the action here, “… has never really seen God at all."[1] The inference, again, is that Diotrephes is not a Christian, truly, or certainly not acting consistent with Chrisitianity.

J. Hampton Keathley III writes, "This is a constant theme of the Bible. Other than the raw power of the Word itself, nothing is so determinative for spiritual change in the lives of others as one’s own example. This truth is strongly taught in 1 Thessalonians 2:1ff where Paul recalls his manner of life and that of his team to the Thessalonians." [2]

This begs an important question: If it is clear that Diotrephes is not even a Christian, why is he holding a place of influence in the Church?  If Demetrius and Diotrephes are leaders in the church, the necessity of regeneration and a good reputation are critical.  Thus Paul could require that ... the overseer is to be above reproach . . .” (1 Timothy 3:2a, NIV).  This does not mean perfection, but it does mean accountability, transparency and repentance when necessary.

Father, this imitation thing is huge.  Almost unconsciously it seems that we like to imitate others.  In the day when celebrities are in our homes and in our faces constantly, we are inundated with potential role models. As adults children are constantly looking to us this way.  Even in the Church celebrity pastors, preachers, authors are all around.  I can see Father that some forms of imitation are good.  I thank you for men in my life who, in part, exemplify godliness and maturity.  I thank you for giving me a father that did that.  My concern today is me, Father.  Can my children, my brothers and sisters truly say, "I imitate Jim?"  I fear not.  I have a heart that continually wonders.  I have a passion that is continually self-centered. I, too often would rather be alone and independent.  What despair!  And I have a Savior who is more than a good example.  He is the One who breaks the power of cancelled sin.  He is the One who freely offers forgiveness and hope.  He is the One who breaks into my sin and freely grants me His righteousness. Oh the love that draws me to this One who is my all-in-all.   What grace!   



Oh, the love that drew salvation’s plan!
Oh, the grace that brought it down to man!
Oh, the mighty gulf that God did span
  At Calvary!










_________________________________
1. KJV Bible Commentary. 1994 (E. E. Hindson & W. M. Kroll, Ed.) (2645). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
2. https://bible.org/seriespage/mark-1-example-others-imitate


No comments: