Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

What If There Was A Relationship Between Our Spiritual Health and Physical Health?

3 John 1–4 (ESV),


1 The elder to the beloved Gaius, whom I love in truth. 2 Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul. 3 For I rejoiced greatly when the brothers came and testified to your truth, as indeed you are walking in the truth. 4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.

It appears that John is writing his friend Gaius -- a friendship that has its bonds "in truth."  "While some have taken the phrase to mean simply “truly” or “really” (Mark 12:32; John 1:47), John’s usage of this phrase elsewhere in these letters where truth takes on such a significant meaning suggests that the elder intended the kind of love that is consistent with the fundamental truths of the faith (cf. v. 4; 1 John 2:21; 3:19)." [1]

John's prayer for his friend is in regard to his life, his health. This is affirmation that these are good things to pray for.  But there is more here. John is aware that Gaius' soul (his spiritual condition) is good.  With this as a basis then, he prays, "I hope the rest of your life is going as well as your spiritual walk."  Would that be true of all of us?  Imagine if God came to us and said, "I'll make you a deal.  I will tailor your health and your life's journey proportionate to your spiritual progress?"   John is aware of Gaius' condition because of reports of travelling brothers who gave testimony to that.

In his second letter, we glean more from the phrase "walking in truth" but suffice to say that "... he walks (Gr peripateō) in the truth, meaning that he lives according to the message of the apostles, rather than just giving mental assent to it." [2]   Gaius is probably a convert of John's for John exclaims: “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.” (3 John 4, NIV).  This is undoubtedly the joy of every true pastor, mentor, church leader and parent.

Here again we observe the importance of congruency in our lives.  "The importance of doctrinal integrity and truth is evident in John’s affirmation that nothing brings greater joy to him than to know that his children walk in truth." [3]

Father, what if I were to pray today asking you to so direct my day and grant me the health and blessings consistent with my spiritual condition?  What if I heard a voice from Heaven that said, "I hope today goes as well as your soul?"   This is a stunning suggestion.  Thankfully Your grace exceeds the demands of this notion.  Thankfully You do not treat me as I deserve.  Thankfully Your love covers a multitude of my sin.  But Father, I am humbled about how little attention I and my brothers and sisters give toward spiritual health.  If we were to give 1/10th the money, time, interest, investment to our spiritual health as we do to our physical health, there would be revival.  I'm sure. Father, help me today to measure this day on these terms.  Indeed For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.” (1 Timothy 4:8, NIV).  “Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.” (Colossians 2:23, NIV).  May I attend to the work of the Spirit, that my soul might be refreshed and renewed, sin would be mortified and Christ be exalted.  Amen.
 
 







_____________________________________
1. The MacArthur Study Bible. 1997 (J. MacArthur, Jr., Ed.) (electronic ed.) (1981). Nashville, TN: Word Pub.
2. KJV Bible Commentary. 1994 (E. E. Hindson & W. M. Kroll, Ed.) (2644). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
3. Believer’s Study Bible. 1991 (W. A. Criswell, P. Patterson, E. R. Clendenen, D. L. Akin, M. Chamberlin, D. K. Patterson & J. Pogue, Ed.) (electronic ed.) (3 Jn 4). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

No comments: