Search This Blog

Monday, October 20, 2014

Is There Someone You Call, "My Dear Friend?"

To be honest, I started studying 2 John because it has been neglected in my life.  I also heard a speaker suggest that even Google has neglected it. For example, there was a time when you would search for '2 John' on Google and it would take you to John's Gospel, chapter 2.   I tried. That's changed now.   Anyway, what has been astounding to me in this short letter is the profound expression of the Doctrine of the Church.  

Today, we start a journey into the third letter: 3 John.   This is clearly a companion letter, in John's mind.  He takes the topic of hospitality and gives more instruction on it.  Because of the prevalence of false teachers he combines the dual notions of love with discernment, instead of love and truth -- but its still on his mind.  Let's start at the beginning:  3 John 1–4 (NIV),

1 The elder, To my dear friend Gaius, whom I love in the truth. 2 Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well. 3 It gave me great joy when some believers came and testified about your faithfulness to the truth, telling how you continue to walk in it. 4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.

Again, as in the previous letter, John salutes the recipients with the term "elder".  (The elder, To the lady chosen by God and to her children, whom I love in the truth—and not I only, but also all who know the truth—” (2 John 1, NIV)).   As I noted before, this is significant.  It reflects among many things the development of the early church through the establishment of pastors and elders and the withdrawal of the Apostles.  John, we understand was the last of the Apostles.

Who is Gaius? The NIV translates the phrase "my dear friend."  The ESV employs the word "beloved" which is a good rendering of the Greek word  ἀγαπητός [ag·ap·ay·tos]. "Although the name Gaius occurs elsewhere in the NT (cf. Acts 19:29; 20:4; Rom 16:23; 1Cor 1:14) and is common enough in the literature of the time, his identity, aside from what is said of him in this letter, is unknown to us. He may have been a member of the church Diotrephes appears to have headed. But whether he held any official position in it is uncertain." [1]

It would appear that John and Gaius are friends and John is writing to him, providing some guidance toward a particular scenario in the church Gaius is part of.  How good it is to have a friend when you are going through difficulty and uncertainty?  How good it is to have a friend, period, today.  I am told that especially men rarely bond to genuine friendships.  We have lots of acquaintances and lots of contacts in our Rolodex -- but few if any "friends."  I preached recently from Romans 16 on the point that friends make great ministry partners. They really do!

Friends are not perfect.  Friends can, and will "let you down."  But there are some important blessings that friends bring to the table.  The Bible speaks of great friendships, David and Jonathon to name one (1 Samuel 18:1-4; 20:14-17). Friends will tell you the truth when others won't (Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.” (Proverbs 27:6, NIV).  It was common for Paul to address friends in his letters and show his appreciation to them.  There is an expected loyalty among friends, especially in times of trouble (“A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.” (Proverbs 17:17, NIV).  Many times you hear Proverbs 18:24 quoted: 

24 One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

It is a rare find in this world for men to have such a friend.  But there is a Friend whom this can always speak to -- man or woman -- His name is Jesus.  To those who trust Him and put their faith in Him, He becomes a true Friend -- closer than any biological relationship. Kevin DeYoung writes [2]:

"Jesus was a friend of sinners not because he winked at sin, ignored sin, or enjoyed light-hearted revelry with those engaged in immorality. Jesus was a friend of sinners in that he came to save sinners and was very pleased to welcome sinners who were open to the gospel, sorry for their sins, and on their way to putting their faith in Him."

Father, I am intrigued by this topic because I am one of the many men who has precious view friends. I am thankful for many men in my life who are a blessing to me.  But there are hardly no friends (in the true sense of the word).  I'm introverted.  I'm a loner.  I am independent.  You made me that way. But that is no excuse.  I know that. I pray for me and all my brothers like me, that You would help us break free from our self-imposed limitations -- our sinful, prideful, self-centered limitations; and in Your grace grant to us at least one good friend.   Thankfully You have done that in the Gospel.  Thankfully, we who are in Christ have a Friend -- a Friend who loves at all times; a Friend who speaks the truth in love; and a Friend who will 'never leave nor forsake us.'  Help us to be a christ-friend to others.   Grant by the power of Your Spirit, as much a this sinner is capable of, a spirit of friendship that reflects the glory of the True Friend, Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen!




________________________________________
1. Expositor's Bible Commentary, The, Pradis CD-ROM:3 John/Exposition of 3 John/I. Salutation (1), Book Version: 4.0.2
2. http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/kevindeyoung/2014/03/04/jesus-friend-of-sinners-but-how/
 

No comments: