Search This Blog

Friday, October 17, 2014

A Picture and the Purpose of the Church

2 John 12–13 (NIV),

12 I have much to write to you, but I do not want to use paper and ink. Instead, I hope to visit you and talk with you face to face, so that our joy may be complete. 13 The children of your sister, who is chosen by God, send their greetings.

The aforementioned verses are commonly understood as the 'final remarks' or 'concluding thoughts.' John realizes that visiting them in person would be more beneficial than continuing to write about additional things. The phrase "so that our joy may be complete" was the purpose of his first letter. We write this to make our joy complete.” (1 John 1:4, NIV).  John's ambition (ἡ χαρὰ ὑμῶν πεπληρωμένη ᾖ) in his letter of encouragement, correction and warning is that their joy and his joy might be πληρόω [play·ro·o], full, overfilling, completely realized. Jesus spoke of the same purpose for his disciples: “I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete . . . I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them.” (John 15:11; 17:13, NIV).

The relationship between pastor and people, the elders and the flock -- the goal of instruction, correction and encouragement in the Gospel seems to be for this important reason: our fully realized joy (and may I add: eternal joy!).  One hears, often enough, that doctrine divides.  Many would want to dismiss doctrine.  Give me Jesus, not theology.  But the opposite is the case. "Doctrinal deviation threatens the joy of the church because it destroys unity and imperils the approving presence of Christ in personal lives and the corporate assembly." [1]

So the letter concludes with greetings from the "children of your elect sister."  This again is undoubtedly the members of a sister congregation -- possibly even the congregation that John was a part of.  Again we have significant insight into the attitude of congregations.  This church was a "sister" church because the membership were made up of people "chosen in Christ" -- the Elect.  Someone asked me recently, "Which denomination is the true denomination?"   Part of my answer is this:  

" A faithful church is made up of born-again, regenerated members who admit they only see in part, who are convinced that what they believe is an honest representation of the Scriptures and who love and respect other churches of like faith and mind, albeit acknowledging their differences."

Yes, there are multitudes of congregations around the world, but for those in Christ -- truly chosen by God and born of the Spirit, we all share the same heavenly Father.  These multitudes of congregations then are multitudes of sister churches.  All human calls for unity are vain and redundant.  True believers and faithful churches are one.  

Father, in the small but profound letter of John, he concludes with some very poignant thoughts. These thoughts beg important questions from the depth of my soul.  Do I seek the eternal joy of my congregation?  Above all the other things, do the people of my church long for and seek my joy?  Do we view other churches of like faith as sisters -- and long for their joy?  These questions are challenging and provide well-needed correction to my thinking.   We are so often fraught with territorialityclannishness, and protectionism.  Forgive us Father for such immature myopia. Grant to us eternal joy -- the joy that comes from the Savior, by the Spirit -- for Your glory.  Amen.






______________________________________________
1. Crossway Bibles. (2008). The ESV Study Bible (2442). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.


No comments: