Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

When Desire Meets Lure

James 1:

13 Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God," for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. 14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

OK, so I sin! God didn't make me do it. No one else made me do it. I have in me a thing called desire. Put that together with a lure. When the connection is made, sin is conceived. James pictures this little embryonic sin growing in the womb. It starts to take on an identity, features, movement, activity. Then the time is right. It explodes into life but immediately starts to bring death.

Where do you stop sin's development? At conception - when desire sees lure. What is the best antidote to succumbing to the lure? Law? Thou shall not? No! That increases the attraction. No, the answer is to go eat the real thing. Go to the treasure that satisfies. Go to the meat that fills you with good things.

No comments: