Search This Blog

Friday, June 27, 2014

To Obey Is To Believe. To Believe Is To Obey

"This is the true meaning of becoming a Christian, even to be justified by faith in Jesus Christ, and not by the works of the law." [1]

We who are Jews by birth and not sinful Gentiles know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.” (Galatians 2:15–16, NIV)

This affirmation of the Gospel does not reject good works, but it places them in the proper order and sequence.  Luther tells a parable:

"This bridegroom must be alone with the bride in his secret chamber, all the servants and family being put apart. But afterwards,. when he openeth the door and cometh forth, then let the servants and handmaidens return, to fulfil their ministry. There let charity do her office, and let good works be done." [1]

Now Paul writes,"So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus" that we might be saved.  The ESV translates this “. . . so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ . . . ”  The Greek text is καὶ ἡμεῖς εἰς Χριστὸν Ἰησοῦν ἐπιστεύσαμεν; or also we on Christ Jesus believed.   This is the essence of Christianity.  “Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.”” (John 3:14–15, NIV)

The question raised by this text is, "What does it mean to believe?" John writes in the 3rd chapter of his Gospel:   36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

True to Hebrew literature, John’s Gospel is structured a lot in parallelisms. This helps us understand his meaning; and more importantly, the meaning of the Holy Spirit.  Note the parallel ideas:

(+) Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life;
(-) Whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life . . ..

John equates belief with obedience.  Some translations use the word reject instead of obey, but that is an inaccurate interpretation of the Greek.  The word is ἀπειθέω and is clearly used in terms of refusing to comply or obey. Notice how Jesus makes this plain in this encounter:

While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.” He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”” (Matthew 12:46–50, NIV).

To become a Christian and live as a Christian is defined by Jesus who said, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.” (John 10:27, NIV).

 Father I love You.  Today I desire You more than I normally do.  I thank You for that passion.  I wish I always had such a preeminent affection for You.  I know part of the reason is that "the things of this earth are growing strangely dim." There is a sadness and a struggle in this life that propels me more and more to see my Savior, face-to-face.  You have saved me by Your grace.  You have given to me as a gift a precious faith purchased by Your Son on Calvary.  You have set before me a purpose and ministry in this life.  I thank you for all that because it provides on the horizon an inheritance that will never fade or grow old.  To be with Christ is far better.  But to serve and obey You is also awesome.  Help me today to magnify Jesus in my life.   May my walk of obedience confirm Your calling and choice of me.  For the glory of Christ and the joy of all who love You.  Amen.

Faith is trusting God's goodness sufficiently that it is evidenced by obedience.

________________________________
1. Luther, M. (1997). Commentary on Galatians. Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

No comments: