Search This Blog

Monday, June 23, 2014

Consultation Without Veneration

Galatians 2:6–7 (NIV),

6 As for those who were held in high esteem—whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not show favoritism—they added nothing to my message. 7 On the contrary, they recognized that I had been entrusted with the task of preaching the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been to the circumcised.

Paul taught that the Gentiles too could be saved apart from merit, only by faith in Christ.  This was the issue of dissension after his conversion.  Then after fourteen years, I went up again to Jerusalem, this time with Barnabas. I took Titus along also.” (Galatians 2:1, NIV).  Likely 14 years after his Damascus experience Paul went to Jerusalem to deal with these things.  "Nay rather, I glory that in going up to Jerusalem by the revelation of God, and not at the commandment of the Apostles, and there conferring my Gospel with them, I brought to pass the contrary, that is to say, obtained that the Apostles did approve me, and not those which were against me." [1]

Paul, wisely discussed the matter with the Apostles so that he would be sure "was not running or had not run in vain."  Peter, James and John all agreed that Paul's message was from God.  Paul was on good ground to preach the Gospel to the Gentiles. “All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I had been eager to do all along.” (Galatians 2:10, NIV).

Paul now gives the reason why he went to Jerusalem and consulted the Apostles. “This matter arose because some false believers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves.” (Galatians 2:4, NIV)

"Now, where he speaketh of the truth of the Gospel, he sheweth that there be two gospels, a true and a false gospel. Indeed, the Gospel of itself is one, simple, true, and sincere: but by the malice of Satan’s ministers it is corrupt and defaced . . . Now the truth of the Gospel is, that our righteousness cometh by faith alone, without the works of the law. The corruption or falsehood of the Gospel is, that we are justified by faith, but not without the works of the law. With this condition annexed, the false apostles preached the Gospel." [1]

We did not give in to them for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might be preserved for you.” (Galatians 2:5, NIV). Assurance, hope and confidence only come from the true Gospel. "For faith, if it is to be sure and steadfast, must lay hold upon nothing else but Christ alone, and in the conflict and terrors of conscience it hath nothing else to lean unto, but this precious pearl Christ Jesus." [1]

Luther will not be backward about disagreeing and even disobeying those who pervert the Gospel. For to do so would not only bring harm to the Gospel.  But to do so would also endanger our liberty in Christ and indeed our faith.

Paul shows us in this passage of the Churches responsibility to others in authority or ministry.  To those that subvert the Gospel, he has no time or patience.  To true Apostles he offers esteem and respect without idolizing them.

Father, today I give you thanks for the men and women that have shaped and influenced my life. I thank you that many times my soul has been refreshed and my heart established by their instruction and teaching.  These dear brothers and sisters are a gift from You.  Thank you, Father.  There have been some of high office and influence in the world.  Keep me from man-worship.  For they too are people who have feet of clay.   Father there are also men that have surrounded me that I highly regard and often seek their counsel.  But they too are fellow-plodders.   In all my relationships, Father, I pray that you will grant me holy insight and courageous boldness to discern and disregard those that are false.  They intend to steal, rob and destroy.  Preserve Your Gospel in the Church, for the sake of Christ and the freedom of Your people.  Amen.







__________________________________
1.  Luther, M. (1997). Commentary on Galatians (Ga 2:2). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

No comments: