Search This Blog

Thursday, April 12, 2012

I Am Free!

Freedom is not absolute.  Freedom for trains is track-bound.  Freedom for boats is water buoyancy.  Freedom for parachutists is the Law of Gravity.  Genuine freedom always comes with complimentary submission.

 “I do not merely decide that Christ shall be my Lord. He is my Lord, by right. I was a slave of sin and Satan, and, try as I would; I could not obtain my freedom. I was never a free man, 'I was born in sin and shapen in iniquity.' A slave! And there would I be now, were it not that Christ came and 'bought me with a price.' What follows 'Ye are not your own.' I am still not free! I have been bought by a new Master ! I am a slave, the bond-servant of Christ ! He is my Lord, for He has bought me. He does not 'demand my soul, my life, my all;' He has bought them, they are His. I am His, because He is my Lord, because He owns me, because He has bought me with His own precious blood.’"--Dr. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones.[1]
The great paradox of genuine Christianity is that freedom can only be found in slavery – slavery to Christ.




[1] Quoted in Loraine Boettner. The Atonement (Kindle Locations 685-689). Monergism Books.

No comments: