Search This Blog

Thursday, June 7, 2012

God intentionally uses the weak and the ill-equipped


I don't think Christ has read the current manuals on church growth.  Dr. John Maxwell, one of the modern gurus of the Church Growth Movement quotes Peter Drucker who said, "The great mystery isn’t that people do things badly but that they occasionally do a few things well. They only thing that is universal is incompetence. Strength is always specific! Nobody ever commented, for example, that the great violinist Jascha Heifetz probably couldn’t play the trumpet well."  Maxwell goes on and comments: "The more specific you can get about your strengths, the better the chance you can find your 'sweet spot." This is totally antithetical to the teaching of Christ and His Apostles. 
 
      When Christ told the disciples to feed the crowd in Mark 6: 30ff; and they obviously said we don't have enough, He simply asked, "What do you have?  How many loaves do you have?"  Now Christ could have fed the crowd apart from these loaves.  He did that for years with Israel in the dessert.  But Christ often chooses the weak and small over the successful and dominant.  Notice this: 

  • 1Corinthians 1:27 (ESV) 27 But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; 
  •  2 Corinthians 12:8–9 (ESV) 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 
  •  2 Corinthians 4:7 (ESV) 7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.

No comments: