Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I Can't Fall! Can I?

One of the favorite sports of Christian writers is to beat up on the disciples of Jesus.  They were untaught.  They were rude.  They were self-centered.  This is all true.  I don't mean to precipitate further abuse, but there is an occasion when I am captivated by their attitude.  They were celebrating Passover.  And in Matthew 26:21 (ESV) we read: "And as they were eating, he [Jesus] said, “Truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me.” 

To a man, each one asked the Lord, "ἐγώ εἰμι, κύριε (Is it I)?"   Now that is an unfortunate rendering in our English Bibles.  In the original language, the question Lord, is it I? suggests that a negative answer was cautiously expected by each one, “It is not I, is it?” [1].  

There is something in us as humans that thinks better of ourselves than we ought.  Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.” (1 Corinthians 10:12, ESV).  I am still riddled by arrogance and self-centeredness (just like the Twelve); and there is a weakness in me that often thinks, "That can't happen to me."   The years of marriage and parenting along with the journey as a follower of Christ are slowing showing me that it can happen to me.  I can fall.  I can act disloyal to my Savior.  I can, at least for a moment, betray Him.   Yet I'm still surprised.  "Not me!?!?"




____________________________________
1.  KJV Bible Commentary. 1994 (E. E. Hindson & W. M. Kroll, Ed.) (1953). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

 

No comments: