Search This Blog

Monday, April 8, 2013

Examine Your Motives When You Are .... RIGHT!

Everyone likes to be right.   To be honest we all think we are right.  Wisdom literature affirms that “every way of a man is right in his own eyes . . ..” (Proverbs 21:2a, ESV).

The second half of Proverbs 21:2 is important: “. . . but the Lord weighs the heart.” (Proverbs 21:2b, ESV).   It is right to be right for the right reasons.  In other words, what of my motives?  I would suggest that to be right for the right reasons could be wrong if our motives are wrong.  For instance Truth can be expressed in a way that makes the person "nothing."
 
"We should examine our motives when we’re inclined to be "right." Our words and actions should reflect God’s grace in our life—evidenced by humility and a sense of purpose in our interactions with others." [1]

The legalist, the "fighting fundie", the perfectionist, in me bawks at this.  To be right is right, no matter ... right?  But no.  I can be right about an issue with my wife and end up on the wrong side of the law. How does that happen?  I can be right about an issue with my family or church and still be on the wrong. In trying to live this out in my life (and I am far, far, far from any sense of accomplishment) and I have learned some things:

1. I can be right and not say I'm right and still be right.
2. I can let the other person be wrong and depending on the situation not tell them (Boy does that sound like heresy to some of you!)
3. It is liberating and joy-enriching not to be the one that is right (even when you know it).

But I have also learned this, it takes a lot of work: self-searching labor, to be right and then tell someone and still be right. Paul wrote in 1 Timothy 1:5 (ESV)

5 The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.

The command of Paul is right; it is authoritative; and it is inerrant. It also precedes from a right heart and a right conscience; and it is authentic.  What is a pure heart? It is a heart that is καθαρός [kath·ar·os].  You can see the idea of catheter.  Jesus uses this word in context with undiluted.  Let me cut to the chase.  When I examine my heart, sometimes I want to be right so people will affirm me; they applaud me; and they think I am smart.  My motives are mixed with selfishness and self-centeredness.  When that is present all my "rightness" is "wrongness".

What is a right conscience?  Could it mean that things are right between us?  Could it mean that I am not trying to use my "rightness" to gain and keep superiority between us?   Using rightness to score points in the win column is wrong. 

When Paul uses the phrase "sincere faith" the word he uses for sincere is ἀνυπόκριτος [an·oo·pok·ree·tos/].   It is the Greek word here is the one from which we get "hypocrite." It was a term used of actors, one who pretends to be what he is not!  I find this so prevalent in my life.  It can be summarized by the well used maxim: When you point a finger at someone there are 3 pointing back at you.  Now this doesn't mean you can't affirm what is right.  It just means that it ought to be done with a level of humility that makes others aware that you don't always practice what you preach, nor always believe (experientially) what you affirm.

I hope you think I'm right!



__________________________________________
1. Barry, J. D., & Kruyswijk, R. (2012). Connect the Testaments: A Daily Devotional. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software.


No comments: