Search This Blog

Monday, September 9, 2013

When God Whistles

When I mention the Biblical doctrine of unconditional election it sparks an angry passion in many people.  How a Christian can respond negatively to such a profound truth is beyond me.  That emotional response is only seconded by another so-called 'Calvinstic' doctrine, namely irresistible grace.  Well meaning Christians can read such events as found in Matthew 9:9 (ESV):

9 As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, “Follow me.” And he rose and followed him.

and not blink!  Imagine the scene: Matthew sitting.  Jesus walking by.  Jesus says follow me.  Matthew follows.  Call it what you want but that invitation of Jesus was really a command and it was irresistible.   Matthew could no longer resist that command than the sun could refuse to shine, or Lazarus could refuse to come out of the tomb.

Jesus Himself said, “All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me.” (John 6:37–38, ESV).

Is this some bizarre, obscure teaching?  Absolutely not!  Even wicked nations cannot resist the effectual call of Almighty God. Listen to the prophet Isaiah:

He will raise a signal for nations far away, and whistle for them from the ends of the earth; and behold, quickly, speedily they come! None is weary, none stumbles, none slumbers or sleeps, not a waistband is loose, not a sandal strap broken; their arrows are sharp, all their bows bent, their horses’ hoofs seem like flint, and their wheels like the whirlwind. Their roaring is like a lion, like young lions they roar; they growl and seize their prey; they carry it off, and none can rescue. They will growl over it on that day, like the growling of the sea. And if one looks to the land, behold, darkness and distress; and the light is darkened by its clouds.” (Isaiah 5:26–30, ESV).

When God whistles, you will come.


 



  

 
 

No comments: