Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

MEAT LOAF TUESDAY -- My new tradition

Pancakes?  On Tuesday?

I drove past the United Church of Canada building in Elk Point today and noticed it was their annual Pancake Dinner.   Why pancakes?  One of my aunt's used to serve us pancakes just about every time we visited.  I always thought it was because they were poor as church mice.  I guess I thought the United Church was poor and needed a little cash in the coffers. 

Well for the first time in my life I was wrong. (I'll confess that after tomorrow).   Guess what today is?  It's Shrove Tuesday.  Yup.  Shrove Tuesday!   If you are a non-conformist Baptist like me you are in the dark.  Shrove?  The expression "shrove" comes from the word 'shrive', meaning to "confess".  Shrove Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday (duh!), therefore it is the day before Lent.   This is the day you "pig out" before the fasting of Lent.  Sounds good, right?

Wikipedia informs us that "pancakes are associated with the day preceding Lent because they were a way to use up rich foods such as eggs, milk, and sugar, before the fasting season of the 40 days of Lent. The liturgical fasting emphasized eating plainer food and refraining from food that would give pleasure: in many cultures, this means no meat, dairy products, or eggs.  In Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom, Ireland and New Zealand the day is also known as "Pancake Day" as it is a common custom to eat pancakes as a meal." [1]

I told Deb I'd cook tonight 'cause she has to go out.  Guess what?  I'm cooking moose burger meat loaf. We're having Meat Loaf Tuesday.  Tomorrow we fast!


________________________________________________

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrove_Tuesday  

No comments: