Search This Blog

Monday, April 14, 2014

Dealing with Doubt - Part 1 (Genesis 15:1–21; 16:1–15)

But Abram said,  . . ..” (Genesis 15:2, NIV).  

God had just come to Abram and said these words: “. . . Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward.”” (Genesis 15:1, NIV).  It seems that whenever God comes to people and says, "Do not be afraid; do not fear; etc. there is every reason humanly speaking to fear.  God's grace initiates comfort.   

Abram had just rejected material possessions from the King of Salem.  God encourages him that God Himself is His reward.   This is the comfort of all true believers.   There is nothing of any value that can replace God Himself. The psalmist records in Psalm 73:26 (NIV), My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. 

So what does Abram's question mean? What did Abram have to fear?  Sovereign Lord, what can you give me since I remain childless and the one who will inherit my estate is Eliezer of Damascus?”” (Genesis 15:2, NIV). I think, as this study bible notation suggests, "Abraham was perplexed, perhaps in part because childlessness was seen as a sign of divine judgment (Lev. 20:20, 21; 1 Sam. 1:11; Jer. 22:30)." [1]  Let us consider.  God had promised Abram to make a great nation out of him (Genesis 12:2).   God had come to him and told him that he was his shield. "In the metaphorical language of the Bible the shield generally represents the protection of God: e.g., Ps. 3:3; 28:7; . . .." [2].  God says to him that He will be to him all that he would ever need.  I think Abram is left in a massive conundrum.  The promises of God aren't being realized in my current situation.

I can imagine that you have the same question as Abram -- as I do!   We have in our possession great and many promises, but sometimes life sucks.  I think Eugene Peterson in his paraphrase comes close to the problem.  He interprets Abram's question this way:

Abram said, “God, Master, what use are your gifts as long as I’m childless and Eliezer of Damascus is going to inherit everything?”” (Genesis 15:2, The Message) 

Matthew Henry writes, "While promised mercies are delayed our unbelief and impatience are apt to conclude them denied." [3]  This, of course is not true, as we will learn. 

Father, when I was a young believer I read the most interesting book called 'In God's Waiting Room.'   How prophetic that was.  Since then I have learned that Your ways are not my ways. Yes, Father I become fearful and I start to doubt Your promises.  I have interpreted Your delays and denials.  Forgive me Father.  I cry for my weakness and plead for Your encouragement. Help me really grasp that You alone are my portion.  Lord, help my unbelief.   






 

_________________________________
1. Whitlock, L. G., Sproul, R. C., Waltke, B. K., & Silva, M. (1995). The Reformation study Bible: Bringing the light of the Reformation to Scripture: New King James Version (Ge 15:2). Nashville: T. Nelson.
2. Smith, W. (1986). Smith's Bible Dictionary. Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
3. Henry, M. (1994). Matthew Henry’s commentary on the whole Bible: Complete and unabridged in one volume (40). Peabody: Hendrickson. 
 
   

No comments: