Search This Blog

Thursday, May 12, 2016

JESUS, LOVER OF MY SOUL

There are two perspectives in the modern Church.  There is a view that starts with man and ends with man.  There is a view that starts with God and ends with God.  Both views lie within the sphere of Christendom yet they are radically different.  One places man in the driver's seat, in first place; the other rightly assumes God has that position of honor.  The former is reluctant, to say the least, to be made low; and subtly doesn't mind being "made much of".   Church music is a mirror of these perspectives.  When a song title is attributed to two different sets of lyrics it becomes blatantly obvious – sadly obvious.

JESUS, LOVER OF MY SOUL[1]
JESUS, LOVER OF MY SOUL[2]

Jesus, Lover of my soul,
Jesus, I will never let you go
You’ve taken me from the miry clay
You've set my feet upon the Rock, and now I know

I love you, I need you,
Though my world may fall, I’ll never let you go
My Saviour, my closest friend,
I will worship you until the very end

Verse 1
Jesus Lover of my soul
Let me to Thy bosom fly
While the nearer waters roll
While the tempest still is high
Hide me O my Saviour hide
Till the storm of life is past
Safe into the haven guide
Oh receive my soul at last

Verse 2
Other refuge have I none
Hangs my helpless soul on Thee
Leave ah leave me not alone
Still support and comfort me
All my trust on Thee is stayed
All my help from Thee I bring
Cover my defenceless head
With the shadow of Thy wing

Verse 3
Thou O Christ art all I want
More than all in Thee I find
Raise the fallen cheer the faint
Heal the sick and lead the blind
Just and holy is Thy name
I am all unrighteousness
False and full of sin I am
Thou art full of truth and grace

Verse 4
Plenteous grace with Thee is found
Grace to cover all my sin
Let the healing streams abound
Make and keep me pure within
Thou of life the Fountain art
Freely let me take of Thee
Spring Thou up within my heart
Rise to all eternity








[1] Daniel Grul | John Ezzy | Steve McPherson © 1992 Hillsong Music Publishing (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
[2] Charles Wesley | John Bacchus Dykes © Words: Public Domain

No comments: