Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Who Is Called and What Are They Called To?

I have joined in, many times, is singing Paul Baloche’s new worship song: Same Love. On the surface this seems to be a great song, but I had a nagging thought that something was wrong.  Recently a musician in my church said that we should have sung “Same Love” as a closing song.  I hesitated, again nagged by this discomfort.  It helped to read Baloche’s context for writing the song.  He said in an interview:

“I was born again when I was 18 years old, and the idea of this song is that the same Love that radically changed my life about 25 years ago, still compels me to want to walk in obedience and serve the Lord. I am compelled to pick up my cross daily and follow Jesus. That's what we are called to do.”[1]

Immediately I recognized the integrity and authenticity of the lyrics.  Prior to that I had two main concerns: One, was Baloche assuming the same expression of love to all things and all people by our God; and Two, had Baloche misunderstood the “calling” of God that is deemed general to all people but effectual to the Elect?  (One must not ignore the fact that it is the redeemed that are given the name, “the called”[2].)

When understood correctly, this song is profoundly rich.  God’s saving love, is also His sanctifying love.  The same love that took your burdens at Calvary, has given to us the burden of pursuing holiness.  The same love who accepted us “just as we are” is calling us to be “just as He is”.   Jesus, speaking of Himself as the Good Shepherd says,

. . . The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.” (John 10:3–4, ESV) [Emphasis Mine]

In salvation Christ calls to the humble, the broken and in grace He sets the captives free. “For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth” (1 Corinthians 1:26, ESV).  Jesus also calls us to follow Him “… and take up his cross and follow me” (Matthew 16:24, ESV).  Why did Baloche give special attention to the faithless, cynic and proud?  In the above-mentioned interview, he said, “But He's really calling us to die to ourselves to find freedom and liberty in Him.” He imagines that some Christians are hurt and stand in contempt of the Church and their lives.  They become distrustful and faithless.  The antidote to both is to deny self and follow Jesus. 

When properly understood in its authorial and Biblical context, a song that was confusing to me has proven to be wonderfully Gospel-centered and sanctifying piece of music.  I might not be alone in this confusion, which might compel worship leaders and musicians to "set the song up" so that people are sure of what they are "addressing one another" about (Ephesians 5:19).

Isaiah 43:1 (ESV)

1 But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.






[1] http://www.newreleasetoday.com/article.php?article_id=909
[2]Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and brother of James, To those who are called, beloved in God the Father and kept for Jesus Christ:” (Jude 1, ESV)

No comments: