Search This Blog

Friday, December 15, 2017

Dr. R.C. Sproul 1939-2017

To comment on the death of Dr. R.C. Sproul, Sr., among the giants of contemporary theologians and pastors seems almost arrogant, if not presumptuous.  Despite that I carry no shame.  For indeed RC was a theologian for the people.  He made the magnanimous task of history, philosophy and Biblical doctrine palatable to the common, every-day believer.  His infectious laugh made the handling of even hotly disputed doctrines rest easy on our minds.  I’m not certain when and where I was introduced to the teaching of RC Sproul.  What I am certain of is the eternal and indelible impact his ministry had on my life for the past 29 years.  My ongoing gain in his influence is made more certain by the many books of RC’s that I own; the tapes and DVDs; and the inexhaustible resources available on the Internet. 

I considered and gave thanks to God for several personal and meaningful things in my life and ministry that are a direct result of RC’s influence.  Here are 5, to name a few:

1. RC taught me that you cannot divorce history and philosophy from Truth.  When asked a question, RC never gave a simple answer, yet he always provided a clear answer.  Questions of theology can not be divorced from the historical context that they emerged.  Answers in theology can not be expressed apart from sound, lucid logic.  Watching RC taught me to picture a theological answer in terms of a funnel.  The response starts at the top in the broadest and widest context but through careful thought it comes to a pointed and specific conclusion.  

2.  RC modeled before me amazing courage.  During days when his personal friends and colleagues in ministry were seeking to embrace the Church of Rome, RC stood strong.  He understood that the issue was not catholic unity, nor was it fellowship reduced to the basics.  RC saw that what was at stake is the Gospel.  The Roman Catholic Church denies the essence of the Gospel and in doing so denies God.  RC could see that when others could not. 

3.  On the heels of my respect for his courage was also my respect for RC’s immovable stance on justification of the sinner, by faith alone in Christ alone.  I doubt if there was a book, sermon or conference message that did not at least include some reference to this doctrine by which the Church stands or falls.  RC understood as the Bible clearly affirms that the only saving hope of us who are sinners is to receive by faith “not a righteousness of our own” by the very righteousness of God.

4.  Not far removed from the above points was also RC’s commitment to the inerrancy of the Scriptures.  I recall in my early Christian life hearing him refute the common saying, “The Bible says it; I believe it; and that settles it.”  RC would lovingly rebuke such ideas.  He would retort, “If the Bible says it, it is settled, whether you believe it or not.”  If we have no inerrant, authoritative, sufficient Scriptures we are lost in a quagmire of human ideas and speculation. 

5. Lastly, but not finally, RC taught me that an effective teacher and preacher could also communicate with children.  RC wrote some memorable children’s books including my favorite, The Priest With Dirty Clothes.  For a man that was steeped in such heady and deep doctrines of the Bible, he could penetrate that fog with a light that allowed even children to see the Truth with clarity.  That, I believe, is a rare skill. That is a teacher!

No doubt, it will be said repeatedly that Dr. Sproul was not perfect.  That is certainly true of him and us.  His perfection was earned and gained by Another who took his place. I could never understand his seemingly illogical stance of infant baptism.  I would marvel at a man with such profound understanding of Christian truth lose all sense of rational and Scriptural deduction on this issue.  But today as I pen these thoughts, what joy it is to know that RC is in the presence of his Savior and his daily maxim of Coram Deo, living in God’s presence has been fulfilled in everlasting joy.  For those of us who have believed the Gospel of grace, we will soon join him. You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore” (Psalm 16:11, ESV).




No comments: