Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Come Let us Worship, Day 23, December 23


John 10:10–11 (ESV)

10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. 11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.“ [Emphasis mine]

This is part of the final public address of Jesus.  He uses another of the “I am” statements that John so meticulously records. “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” (John 10:11, ESV). This statement is not offered in isolation.  Israel’s shepherds have failed miserably in caring for the nation.  God promises to raise up another shepherd who will lead his people in righteousness[1]. God himself comes, in Christ, and takes on the role of this shepherd.

Read this promise carefully.

“I will make with them a covenant of peace and banish wild beasts from the land, so that they may dwell securely in the wilderness and sleep in the woods. And I will make them and the places all around my hill a blessing, and I will send down the showers in their season; they shall be showers of blessing. And the trees of the field shall yield their fruit, and the earth shall yield its increase, and they shall be secure in their land. And they shall know that I am the Lord, when I break the bars of their yoke, and deliver them from the hand of those who enslaved them. They shall no more be a prey to the nations, nor shall the beasts of the land devour them. They shall dwell securely, and none shall make them afraid. And I will provide for them renowned plantations so that they shall no more be consumed with hunger in the land, and no longer suffer the reproach of the nations. And they shall know that I am the Lord their God with them, and that they, the house of Israel, are my people, declares the Lord God. And you are my sheep, human sheep of my pasture, and I am your God, declares the Lord God.”” (Ezekiel 34:25–31, ESV)

This is covenant language – New Covenant language.  Notice the emphasis, not on wealth so much, but security, peace, and assurance.  The picture is also so wonderfully portrayed in the Shepherd’s Song:

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” (Psalm 23:1–6, ESV)

This is the meaning of the “abundant life”.  This is why Jesus came. 

Father, you are my shepherd, my Good Shepherd.  Today and always, lead me where I will rest content and my soul will be nourished. Whatever the hill or valley, or even in the darkness, my fear is gone for you are present. You have given us eternal life that is now and forever – that minds it ever-increasing culmination in your presence, where there is fullness of joy.  Amen.








[1]And I will set up over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he shall feed them: he shall feed them and be their shepherd.” (Ezekiel 34:23, ESV)


No comments: