Search This Blog

Saturday, November 30, 2019

The Judgment of Believers

I’ve frequently heard questions related to the accountability of the saint regarding their works. The Bible is very clear. For example in Romans 14:10–12 (ESV): 


“... For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God ... So then each of us will give an account of himself to God.”


Cf: 2 Cor. 5:10; Rom. 2:6–11; Rev. 20:12, 15).


But Paul is equally clear this is not a judgment of condemnation but a judgment of commendation.  As we see in 1 Corinthians 4:3–5 (ESV):  


“... It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God.”


“It is important to realize that this judgment of believers will be a judgment to evaluate and bestow various degrees of reward (see below), but the fact that they will face such a judgment should never cause believers to fear that they will be eternally condemned.” - Wayne Grudem.


Remember the words of Jesus recorded in John 5:24 (ESV): 


“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.”


Does this security render us passive and negligent? No! Quite the opposite. True saving grace looks like this:


“But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.” - 1 Corinthians 15:10 (ESV)



No comments: