Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

"It Takes a Lot of Faith to Lament"

 


Crossway[1] Podcaster, Matt Tulley interviewed Mark Vroegop author of Dark Clouds, Deep Mercy. Here are some quotable quotes:

 

“Yes. I think lament in its essence is more process-oriented than what we’re familiar with. Lament doesn’t tie everything up in a nice bow. Sometimes it leaves the tension hanging in the air with unsolved problems, but a renewed commitment that I’m going to trust the Lord in the middle of all of this. While there are a bunch of things that I can’t control, a bunch of things that I can’t change or do, the one thing that I can do is talk to God.”

 

“I think the Christian life is in the space where we know God is sovereign, but the world is also broken. Those two things don’t always go together really well. You know that God is good, but there are events in life that it’s hard to make a direct connection between this specific event and God’s goodness. It’s precisely because of the fact that we believe that God is sovereign and that we believe he’s good that Christians complain. We say to God, How long, O Lord? Would you intervene? Why haven’t you intervened? Rather than throwing that in God’s face—You need to intervene because I’m telling you you need to intervene—lament actually enters into the space to say, God, you’re sovereign. You’re in control. You’re all-powerful. And yet, this brokenness is right here. I want it to be gone. I want you to do something. Lament wrestles with pain while also looking to God as the ultimate answer for that pain, with the hope that we can really fully place our trust in him.”

 

“I think, sadly, that many Christians believe that being a faithful follower of Jesus means that you never struggle with doubt, you never wrestle with despair, you’re not battling anxiety on a regular basis. They come to church, people ask them how they’re doing, and they fake it: Oh, we’re fine! Praise the Lord! But inside, their spiritual life is a train wreck and they don’t think that it’s okay to acknowledge, I’ve got unanswered questions. I have tension in my soul about God’s goodness and what’s happening in my life. So, lament enters that rather complicated terrain by saying here’s a way to talk to God about that tension.”

 

“Absolutely. In fact, I think it takes a lot of faith to lament. I think lament is one of the most theologically faith-filled things that a Christian could possibly do. In the middle of the darkest of dark moments, when your pain is so raw and so real, you have the faith to talk to God about your pain. If faith isn’t present, you would give God the silent treatment, you wouldn’t talk to him, you would just be angry, you would be resigned and say that God really doesn’t care. But in the middle of your darkest moment, you’re talking to God about what’s wrong with the world. You’re asking him to be true to his promises and recommitting that you’re going to trust in him. I don’t know what could be more faith-filled than that.” 

 

[Emphasis is mine]



[1] https://www.crossway.org/articles/podcast-how-to-lament-after-two-years-of-loss-mark-vroegop/

No comments: