Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

HAPPY 20th BIRTHDAY, KATRINA!

I walked into the post-delivery room at the Grey Nuns Hospital in Edmonton, 20 years ago to the distressed cries from a little baby girl named Katrina Ann MacLellan.  My fondest memory was when the sound of my voice silenced her cry and she looked toward me.

When I'd go to Church on Sundays she had to go with me.  One day I left her at home because she was late and Debra told me that she cried her eyes out.  We wrestled together.  We built stuff together.  We shot stuff together.  I still hold a privileged spot that even others don't: I get to hug her and give her a big Daddy-type kiss.

Katrina is one of the most talented people I know.  I don't think there's very much she can't do. Whether she's doing pretty flowers on a birthday cake or shingling a building, she's amazing.  She can switch out the shocks in her truck, do a brake job, consistently hit deer at 200 yards, outplay me at any video game ... and the list goes on.  Another thing about Katrina is that she is an amazing people person.  She's a blast in a party; and she's the best "auntie" any kid could have.

I used to tell her that the 'A' in her middle name was really "Anny" (for Annoying). Katrina loves to joke and bug her Dad.  For the last 20 years I don't think I could ever walk by her without getting a major punch somewhere in my torso.

Her favorite four-legged creature is her dog: Gracie.  You ought to ask how that dog got the green light to be in our house!  This girl came into my office, sat like she'd had just booked a counseling session and cried her eyes out, pleading for permission.  This big black Lab/Collie cross is the rest of the story.

I hope you get the impression that you think, I think, that my daughter is amazing.  She is!   Some days, Katrina, I wish you hadn't grown up -- but you had too.  You're no longer a teen, Kiddo.  I love you. Remember what I used to say, "All the way up to the sky and back."   Still do! You've seen me at my worst and you love me.  That's really cool.  Thanks!

Every night when I tucked you in I said quietly to you, "Your going to be a great and godly woman." You are well on your way.  God's not finished with you yet.  “And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.” (Philippians 1:6, NLT)

Daddy

No comments: