Search This Blog

Thursday, March 26, 2015

An Enemy of Vital Life-Breathing Faith

I am not a gifted thinker.  I don’t say that to be humble, nor because of some fantasy about belittlingly myself.  No, I just love creative thinkers; and I know I'm not one.  There are some tremendously gifted people like Tim Keller, John Piper and of course C.S. Lewis that I’m often mouth-droppingly amazed at.  

Today I add another to the list Dr. Rosaria Champagne Butterfield. In reading her book: The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert, I read her extremely thought-provoking analysis of a situation that many of us face in Christian ministry.

You have heard it I’m sure:  “Pastor, I just haven’t found fellowship in your church.”

In the past we have had to handle this.  Usually, as a member of a humble and conscientious council of elders, we have looked within at the multitude of weaknesses and failures of the church body – of us!  But there is more to the story. Note the intuition of Dr. Butterfield:

Over the years, I have contemplated what this really means. What does it really mean to “lack fellowship”? At least as it regards the handful of families that showed immediate excitement and then after a month a changed heart, this is what “lacking fellowship” means. It means that the family needs to be in a church made up of people who are just like they, who raise their children using the same childrearing methods, who take the same stance on birth control, schooling, voting, breastfeeding, dress codes, white flour, white sugar, gluten, childhood immunizations, the observance of secular and religious holidays. We encountered families who feared diversity with a primal fear. They often told us that they didn’t want to “confuse” their children by exposing them to differences in parenting standards among Christians. I suspect that they feared that deviation from their rules might provide a window for children to see how truly diverse the world is and that temptation might lead them astray . . .

. . . Here is what I think. I believe that there is no greater enemy to vital life-breathing faith than insisting on cultural sameness. When fear rules your theology, God is nowhere to be found in your paradigm, no matter how many Bible verses you tack onto it.[1]

This is stunning!  Allow a few of her thoughts to arrest you and land like a hammer on an anvil.  Now before you comment, I know there are good and godly reasons to withdraw from a church. But Dr. Butterfield does hit a sensitive nerve with this one.

The positive response is that people who don’t mind diversity; people who are at such peace with God and their convictions – have no lack of fellowship.  When fear rules your theology, God is nowhere to be found in your paradigm, no matter how many Bible verses you tack onto it.

Thought-provoking isn’t it?






[1] Butterfield, Rosaria Champagne (2014-10-09). The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: Expanded Edition (Kindle Locations 2108-2119). Crown & Covenant Publications. Kindle Edition.

No comments: