Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Fighting For Free Will

In his defense of God's righteousness, the Apostle has established the freedom of God in election. This is profound.  For centuries and up to these days the doctrine of man's freedom of the will has been contested, defended, attacked, but more often it is been zealously protected. We are quick to embrace the so-called freedom of man, but fail to offer the same courtesy to our sovereign and absolute God.

"The freedom of God, also called divine freedom, designates that God is free and 'not constrained by anyone other than himself. He does what he pleases (Ps. 115:3), and therefore he is always free... He is not bound to the dictates of anyone else. He does make promises, to be sure, which obligate him to do certain things, but he makes those promises voluntarily.'"[1]

Having shown from God's revelation of his glory to Moses, Paul now moves to another example: Pharaoh. “For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.” (Romans 9:17–18, ESV)

Now, before we get into the specifics, it is important to see what Paul is doing here.  The choosing of Moses and Pharaoh is not arbitrary.  Let me explain:

Previously Paul showed God's elective decisions in the brothers of Jacob and Esau.  Now he chooses complimentary examples: Moses and Pharaoh.  One a Hebrew, the other a Gentile.  But both examples are used for a common purpose, that is, to show that God's elective decisions are accomplished in the freedom of God's will and for the glory of His Name.  If we went back to Exodus we would recall that Moses wanted to see God's glory.  God's response was to reveal His Name. (“And he said, “I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name ‘The Lord.’ And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.” (Exodus 33:19, ESV)) [Emphasis mine]

Now in the example of Pharaoh God is saying the same thing.  His elective determination regarding this Gentile king that maintains His freedom, is all about the glory of His Name. (“For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”” (Romans 9:17, ESV))  [Emphasis Mine]

Now we understand what is at stake here.  Now we understand why this is not just a peripheral doctrine that can be taken or left.  The glory of God, the Name of God is a stake here.  So God says to Pharaoh in Exodus 9:16 (ESV): "16 But for this purpose I have raised you up, to show you my power, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth."  I will unpack that further in the next blog, but for the moment notice that Paul is using this occurrence to support two absolute principles:

So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.” (Romans 9:16, ESV)
So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.” (Romans 9:18, ESV)

The "so then" identifies the point we are to take away.  The "it depends" is God's unconditional election.  It depends on nothing outside of God.  His will is ultimate.




_____________________________________________
Previous Blogs on this topic:

1
Romans 9:1-2
2
Romans 9:3-5
3
Romans 9:6–9
4
Romans 9:6–13
5
Romans 9:13
6
Romans 9:14-16
7


8


9


10









[1] http://www.theopedia.com/freedom-of-god

No comments: