Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

A Personal Look at Celebrity Pastors

I have a daughter that comes to me occasionally and says, "Daddy, I've been thinkin'!"  Well it's my turn.  I started my personal study of 1 Corinthians about six months ago; and along the road, I've been thinkin'! This phenomenon that Paul witnessed in Corinth, probably existing about A.D. 55ish whereby the Christian men and women were lining up under various leaders (1 Corinthians 1:12) is a bit of an enigma, but we know enough to come to some conclusions.  One of the conclusions is that the men involved did not promote such a practice, nor were they guilty of promoting something antithetical to true Christianity. 

There seems to be, at the one hand, a grassroots swell against the Apostle Paul (1 Corinthians 4:3); and an exaltation of a preferred leader (or the aggrandization of a preferred leader). Modern conversation on this trend is called "the celebrity pastor".  I really has to do with priorities, doesn't it?

There have been some interesting articles, of late, on this occurrence.  For example:
  1. Together for the Gospel had a panel discussion on this theme.
  2. The Gospel Coalition has had a myriad of articles posted on this topic.
Whenever some of us think of celebrity pastors we bring to mind such contemporary figures as Joel Osteen.  But we in so-called evangelical, reformed camps also have our celebrity pastors.  Undoubtedly in years past George Whitfield, Charles Spurgeon would have ranked in that category.  Today we have our John Pipers, John MacArthurs, Charles Swindolls, etc. Again, as in Corinth, I doubt if any man of God would seek for this austere position.  Nor do I think that it's wrong to have your favorites.

Here's what I've been thinking: One of the many dangers of this cult of personality is the undermining and obscuring of the local Church pastor or pastors.  It's the eclipse of the local shepherd. Now for the sake of full disclosure, I am a local church pastor.  An article like this is hard to write because of the obvious conflict of interest – the given bias and prejudice that I probably hold.   It's hard because I have personally experienced the piercing of my heart, because of this issue.  But that does not mean that I cannot speak somewhat to this issue with honesty.

In the last 26 years of church ministry, two very real scenarios occur that are disconcerting:
  1. The unabashed criticism directed to the local pastor versus the seemingly unquestionable loyalty to the celebrity pastor; and
  2. The blind sidedness that overlooks the reality that the local pastor's ambition is for your joy in comparison to the celebrity pastor's need for your money.
You see I am not opposed to a person saying, "I follow _____________ ."  But when the adherence to that person or ministry supersedes and usurps the man or men, that God has called to "shepherd the church of God, which he bought with his own blood"[1], this becomes a problem.  It is akin to ignoring your family needs and sending all your resources elsewhere.  Or as I knew of in one church where the pastor was living in poverty while thousands of dollars were being sent to the mission field.  The problem isn't the poverty, nor the mission field.  The problem is misplaced priorities.

I've been thinkin': When the men I read, I listen to and I "follow" get a "pass" that results in little or no scrutiny and my pastor becomes the object of very careful enquiry, my priorities are wrong.  When the one I "follow" takes the place of the one "who has to give an account for my soul", my priorities are wrong.

Paul wrote: We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves.” (1 Thessalonians 5:12–13, ESV).

The Greek word that has been translated "respect" in Paul's admonition is οἶδα.  It is pronounced: "I-do"! The KJV translators use the word "know".  That's not a bad translation. It has a variety of nuances and contextually "respect" is a good word.  But there is a depth in that word that "respect" doesn't totally convey.  Paul uses this word more often in this Letter than elsewhere.  (Thirteen times in five chapters!)  Most often this word is used in conjunction with "understanding". That nuance is not far removed from respect.  When we take the time to know, to understand, we also start to experience respect, honor, value. 

As a local church, non-celebrity pastor, it is an amazing joy when I am "known" by my Church.  They know my strengths and weaknesses.  They know when it's just a slip; or when it's necessary to criticize and restore. They celebrate my successes.  They are patient with my failings. They sense when it's right to encourage; and they know when applause will simply feed my sinful ego.  All that "knowledge" equates to one thing: R-E-S-P-E-C-T.  I can't think that an so-called "celebrity pastor" can claim any of that wealth.  I love Eugene Peterson's paraphrase of 1 Timothy 1:12: “I’m so grateful to Christ Jesus for making me adequate to do this work. He went out on a limb, you know, in trusting me with this ministry.” (1 Timothy 1:12, The Message).







[1] The New International Version. (2011). (Ac 20:28). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

No comments: