Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2016

How Does the Christian Apply Leviticus 26?

"If you follow my decrees and are careful to obey my commands, I will . . .."[1]   There are great promises of temporal physical blessing for Israel when they obey. ““ ‘I will look on you with favor and make you fruitful and increase your numbers, and I will keep my covenant with you. You will still be eating last year’s harvest when you will have to move it out to make room for the new.” (Leviticus 26:9–10, NIV)

"But if you will not listen to me and carry out all these commands” (Leviticus 26:14, NIV)  there is nothing but trouble and struggle. “If after all this you will not listen to me, I will punish you for your sins seven times over.” (Leviticus 26:18, NIV)

Do we as New Covenant disciples find within these promises and warnings hope for agricultural success and family prosperity?  No. All we can find in these passages is condemnation and disillusionment if we think we can keep the Law sufficiently to gain such reward.  Jesus Christ perfectly fulfilled the Law, keeping its every command. He also died to the Law, bearing the sins of all who would believe, and meeting the demand of the Law that the one who sins must die. We are law-breakers and always will be.  It is only "in Christ" that we can find hope.  Christ kept the Law to perfection and in Him is found all the abundance and joy.  

God has thus achieved salvation and blessing for His people, through the coming, life, death, burial, and resurrection of His Son, Jesus Christ.






________________________________________________
1. The New International Version. (2011). (Le 26:3–4). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

No comments: