Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2016

Awe and Absence!

I hate writing what I’m going to write, because I hate sympathy.  I’m proud.  I usually keep my thoughts to myself.  So if you continue reading, don’t comment or call me.  That’s embarrassing.  Just pray for me and secondly realize that what I’m doing right now is the best therapy in the world: studying God’s Word and applying to me.

That’s right I am discouraged.  I’m feeling disheartened.  For a few days now I have been going, “Why are you downcast, O my soul?”  “Hope in God!” But Psalm 77 has grabbed my heart; and I think we are in tune.

I don’t know who the writer is. It may be Asaph, but the way the superscription is written, that is not necessarily he that authored it. It is a lament.  It sounds like bagpipes out of tune. Like me, right now, at 1:00 a.m. in the morning he describes his sleepless night.  He tells us of the struggle he has to find answers. “When I was in distress, I sought the Lord; at night I stretched out untiring hands, and I would not be comforted” (Psalm 77:2, NIV). This is not the first time he went through this Slough of Despond.  And the last time God didn’t seem to come through then, either.  Phoned, but it just rang busy!  So what’s the deal, God?

“Will the Lord reject forever? Will he never show his favor again? Has his unfailing love vanished forever? Has his promise failed for all time? Has God forgotten to be merciful? Has he in anger withheld his compassion?”” (Psalm 77:7–9, NIV)

Oops, change of plans: “Then I thought, ‘To this I will appeal . . ..’”[1]  He starts to recall God’s character and God’s past actions on behalf of Israel.  I was surprised.  If I had been teaching Counseling 101 I would have said, “Think about all the great things God has done for you.”   Not this anonymous songwriter!  He sees God working corporately and across history.

Did it help?  Not sure!  He doesn’t say.  But two things that I see in this Psalm is that the writer is left with a sense of ‘awe’.  Awe is awe.  It’s just a mouth-dropping look.  “. . . What god is as great as our God?” [2]  And secondly, we are left with the ‘absence’ of God (sort-of).  Your path led through the sea, your way through the mighty waters, though your footprints were not seen” (Psalm 77:19, NIV).

You probably recognize where the author of “Footprints” got his or her inspiration for their poem.  The authorship seems disputed, but we are all familiar with the poem and the wonderful ending:

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you, never, ever, during your trials and testings. When you saw only one set of footprints, It was then that I carried you."

It simply isn’t our privilege to know all the ins and outs of how God leads.  We are simply (Oh, that’s an understatement!) to trust HOW He leads. 

So what did Asaph (or whomever) teach me about being dejected?  One, think about what God is doing for other people; Two, think about who God is; and Three, a sense of God’s absence can be uncomfortably safe.







[1] The New International Version. (2011). (Ps 77:10). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
[2] The New International Version. (2011). (Ps 77:13). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

No comments: