Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

We are called to live questionable lives!

I don't know anything about this author, but I agree wholeheartedly with his assessment of Jesus:

One of the things that struck me profoundly in my reading of the accounts of the life of Jesus is that he provoked a strong reaction in everyone who met him. I cannot think of a single individual who encountered Jesus personally and didn't show a strong reaction. Sometimes people reacted positively, at other times their reaction was very negative. But he always provoked a strong reaction.[1]

In preparing for a Sunday message I was considering the same thing.  Jesus always moved people a reaction – a response.  A young man watching a dinner party by a Pharisee, when asked by his parents, upon his arrival back home, "Who was at the party?" would never answer, "Oh . . . and I think a man named Jesus was there!"  Never!  Jesus always provoked a response. 

      ·         To a Jewish academic; a professor of religious studies: ““How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”” (John 3:4, NIV)
      ·         To a woman of a race He was not supposed to talk to: “You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?” (John 4:9, NIV)
      ·         He heals a man on the Sabbath. “Who is this fellow who told you to pick it up and walk?”” (John 5:12, NIV)
      ·         He eats with sinners. "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?"[2]
      ·         When His death was witnessed by a Roman soldier: "Surely he was the Son of God!"[3]

Jesus always invokes a reaction.  He is never boring.  Where am I going with this?  In Paul's letter to Colossae he writes, Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” (Colossians 4:6, NIV).  There is a heavily laden presumption in this verse. The presumption is this: My conversation with unbelievers ought to invoke a response – particularly a question.  That's troubling to me because it rarely does.  Dr. Douglas Moo comments: "By putting it this way, Paul assumes that unbelievers will be raising questions about the faith of the Colossian Christians, questions that may be neutral or even, perhaps, hostile."[4]

We are called to live questionable lives! 

Someone should be asking me, "Why are you different;" or "Why do you have that hope?[5]"  So here's the question that I find so provoking and challenging: "Do I relate to unbelievers in such a way they question me about my faith in Christ?"  If not, why not!

We are called to live questionable lives!






[1] March, Stephen John. Fuel for Pilgrims (Volume One) (p. 21). Lulu.com. Kindle Edition.
[2] The New International Version. (2011). (Mt 9:11). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
[3] The New International Version. (2011). (Mt 27:54). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
[4] Moo, D. J. (2008). The letters to the Colossians and to Philemon (p. 331). Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans Pub. Co.
[5] 1 Peter 3:15

No comments: