Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2016

Don't Measure Up!

I've been concerned about some friends that are discouraged and think that they don't measure up. Here's an excerpt of some thoughts I wrote a few years ago:

In the aftermath of trying to measure up and being told that I've failed … again,

I must draw on strength from the One who promised that he would finish the good work he started in me (Philippians 1:6 (ESV) 6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. ).

I can receive comfort from the One who promised that nothing that can be named or thought of would ever be able to separate me from him (Romans 8:35 (ESV) 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?).

I must depend on the One who promised he would be my God, strengthen me, help me, and uphold me with his righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10 (ESV) 10 fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.).


I need to fight against a legalistic approach to my Christian life with the strength that only God provides.

I have to guard my heart against believing that my life must go perfect today in order for me to be happy and free of guilt.   I have an Advocate who put himself forward as a sacrifice for my sin, so I have no need to vindicate myself (Romans 3:24 (ESV)  24 and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,).

In my effort to serve God faithfully as a husband, father and pastor, I must refuse to entertain the notion that my work can be done through any other strength but God's and to any other end besides his glory. I'm free to abide in Jesus, bearing fruit to the praise of God's glory as a branch grafted in to the life-giving Vine (John 15:5 (ESV) 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.).

My pride and my ego need to be killed.

Jesus frees me from the need to constantly evaluate myself. Instead of obsessively wondering if I measure up and look for both admiration and criticism, I can be taken up with Christ as I fix my eyes on him. With my affections bound up in Jesus, I'm free to look at the accomplishments of other men and rejoice in the success of them.   The gospel frees me to be a Christian man who replays the day in his mind and feels neither boastful pride nor wallowing self-pity, but joyful thanksgiving to the praise of God's glory.

Christ Is Enough Forever


Whether my mind says it or not, the verdict is in: There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” (Romans 8:1, ESV). I am free to live by future grace and all the promises of God because they find their Yes in Jesus (2 Cor. 1:20).  I am free to serve with the strength God supplies so that he gets the glory (1 Pet. 4:11). We're free to lay aside every weight and sin and run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith (Heb. 12:1-2) -- and run as a justified sinner.


No comments: