Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2016

Church Discipline

Almost 8 years ago I wrote and preached on the topic of Church Discipline.   On Sunday, January 10, 2016 I preached on this topic again, as it was contained within the exposition of 1 Corinthians 5:1-8. If you would like to review the transcripts of my earlier efforts in this regard, you can read them in 3 parts at the following links:



In this blog I examine what I call "preventative" and "private" discipline.


In this blog I discuss the texts dealing with a third type of discipline. "If all attempts to restore fail then the individual loses the privileges and protection of being right with Christ and His Church. Hopefully the misery that results will bring them to repentance. They are not to be avoided. They are to be loved and shown kindness. They are to be objects of your affection and mercy. They forfeit the privileges of Christian membership but they do not forfeit your love."


"To seek to bring correction upon another person without the right attitude is encourage failure. If you do not find it in your heart to love someone; if you do not find it in your heart to thank God for the evidence of grace in their lives; if you do not find it in your heart to find hope and confidence in God’s faithfulness – you will be a very poor instrument of peace – and so will I."


No comments: