Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Not A Hint of Crudity.

In Ephesians 5:3–7, Paul sets the speech bar high for Christians.  There are some things that there should not even be a "hint" of.  The old translations used the phrase "let it not be named among you."  It is the Greek word ὀνομάζω which can properly be translated that way. The idea is that there are certain behaviors that are not fitting for God's people.  We of course are not surprised that the Apostle would include sexual immorality.  That's a given!  But then he goes on into some other areas:  "obscenity, foolish talk or coarse [or "crude"] joking."

As I stand condemned in the docket, I immediately feel defensive and ask, "Can't God take a joke?" Yes He can!  A little humor is good.  “A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.” (Proverbs 17:22, NIV)

I remember my father speaking of statesmen in the past eras.  These were men who could speak with clarity and dignity but could avoid the coarse jesting and rude jokes that is so common in the public discourse today.  Sadly, silly and crude language has left the hallowed halls of the legislatures and moved into the holy domains of Christendom.  I admit that I find it very easy, especially among other men, to speak in ways that I wouldn't be caught saying in front of a lady – or in public.  That is reproachful. Masculinity is not somehow honored through rude and coarse jokes.  When I make silly remarks about sexuality, the normal ablutions of the human body and other matters that require delicate and precise words, both in content and context, I easily enter into sinful impropriety.  There should not even be a hint of that!

My dad used to tell me that coarse and crude language simply reflected bad vocabulary skills.  He was right but Paul takes it further.  Paul says that there should not even be a hint of it.  Paul says that it is inconsistent with Christian behavior.

Real men speak with dignity and accuracy.  I feel deep sorrow for not speaking, at times, as a real man. 

Lord Jesus, I fail in many ways, Lord, especially with my words.  I would be lying if I denied my sins to You. Instead I stand accountable before You for every idle word I have spoken and will be justified or condemned by my very words. Forgive me Lord for any corrupt word that has proceeded out of my mouth and has grieved the Holy Spirit.   I thank you that as I confess my sins before You, You will be faithful to forgive me my sins and cleanse me of all unrighteousness.  Thank you that you do not condemn me because I belong to Christ Jesus.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.” (Ephesians 4:29–30, NIV)  





No comments: