Search This Blog

Friday, January 10, 2014

Twin Truths That Make Us Useful - Revelation 3:14-21

What is the definition of usefulness?  Well according to Jesus, usefulness is:

a. Having wealth and knowing it; or being poor and knowing it.
b. Having integrity and knowing it; or not having integrity and knowing it.
c. Having spiritual insight and knowing it; or not have spiritual insight and knowing it.

But to say you own one of these qualities and to actually NOT have it is beyond hypocrisy; beyond one's self-conscious ability; it renders you useless. "Laodicea was near two other cities. Hierapolis had hot medicinal waters; Colossae had cold, pure, refreshing water. Both were wonderful. What was terrible was the useless water of Laodicea." [1]

The indictment to this Church from our Lord was “For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.” (Revelation 3:17, ESV). There is value in being one or the other and admitting it with the purpose of doing something.  To pretend to be rich and to be poor renders a person unprofitable. There is a need for “. . .  salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see.” (Revelation 3:18b, ESV).  "They could “purchase” these necessities only by his grace, as the Lord had once invited thirsty spiritual paupers to “buy wine and milk without money” (Isa. 55:1–4)." [2]

"Their trouble was that they had never really seen themselves as sinners."  These were people loved by our Lord (v19).  The problem was they forgot what Luther later understood. We are "simul justus et peccator." We are simultaneously Christian and sinner at the same time.   By remembering that we are Christians we remember how rich we are.  By remembering that we are at the same time sinners, we remember how poor we are.  A person of that standing is useful to Christ.  Those that promote a triumphant theology that fails to deny that we are still sinners are of no value to the work of Christ.  Those that are sinners but forget the Gospel and the richness afforded them are of no less profit to the Kingdom.

It is in communion and fellowship with Christ that we learn of our amazing riches in grace and our deep poverty of sin.  So Jesus says to us, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.” (Revelation 3:20, ESV)

John Newton:  “I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be in another world; but still I am not what I once used to be, and by the grace of God I am what I am . . .  Although my memory's fading, I remember two things very clearly: I am a great sinner and Christ is a great Savior.”

Father, Your love and Your wisdom is amazing.  You sent Your Son to be my Savior and in fellowship with Him I am always reminded what a great sinner I am, but what a great Savior He is.  With that insight in my life I believe, by God's grace, I am some use to the Kingdom.  Grant me the mercies to never forget both truths.  Cause me to be profitable in Your Service for Your sake, today.
  


__________________________________
1.  Easley, K. H. (1998). Vol. 12: Revelation. Holman New Testament Commentary (59). Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman Publishers.
2. Crossway Bibles. (2008). The ESV Study Bible (2469). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.
3. KJV Bible Commentary. 1994 (E. E. Hindson & W. M. Kroll, Ed.) (2667). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

No comments: