Search This Blog

Friday, January 3, 2014

The Issue Is Rarely 'Either/Or.' - Revelation 2:1-7

Ephesus was a church that persevered through hostility, maintained doctrinal purity and exercised godly discernment, yet they had one failing.  “Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first.” (Revelation 2:4, NIV).   Now most of the time I have understood this to mean that God is correcting them because their love for Christ has waned. Some however suggest that this admonition is because they had lost their love for one another.  Beale adds yet a different interpretation:

"The idea is that they no longer expressed their former zealous love for Jesus by witnessing to him in the world. This is why Christ chooses to introduce himself as he does in v 1. His statement that he “walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands” is intended to remind the introverted readers that their primary role in relation to their Lord should be that of a light of witness to the outside world." [1]

The correction is to the whole church so I doubt if the issue is love for Christ.  The issue of love for one another is possible.  But contextually Beale's explanation makes more sense.  Think of it this way, I can be so concerned about keeping my car bright, shiny and running smooth that I forget why I have a car.  I can lose the purpose of the thing.   The purpose of the Church is to "make disciples."  And it seems consistent that if a Church loses its purpose, Christ will "remove your lampstand from its place."

The question is not either/or.   The issue is both/and.   An evangelistic church that is fraught with false doctrine and passivity is as great an offence.  It's rarely an issue of either/or.

Father, You sent Your Son to bear witness to the Truth.  He is Truth. You care about Truth.  You care about Truth AND unity, not OR unity.  You care about Truth AND love, not OR love.  And you care about Church purity AND evangelism.  I tend to get over into one side OR the other.  Help me today to be concerned about the purity and integrity of my life and my Church.  But Lord help me not to forget the lost.  Help me not forget my raison d'etre.  May I have opportunity this day to share the Gospel with someone who needs it hear it.   


_________________________________________
1.  Beale, G. K. (1999). The book of Revelation: A commentary on the Greek text. New International Greek Testament Commentary (230). Grand Rapids, MI; Carlisle, Cumbria: W.B. Eerdmans; Paternoster Press.
 

No comments: