Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The King's Glorious and Public Return - Revelation 1:1-8

Revelation 1:7 (NIV)7 “Look, he is coming with the clouds,” and “every eye will see him, even those who pierced him”; and all peoples on earth “will mourn because of him.” So shall it be! Amen.

This is the "thesis" statement of Revelation. It is also the first prophetic word in the Book.It combines two passages from the Old Testament: “In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence.” (Daniel 7:13, NIV); and ““And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son.” (Zechariah 12:10, NIV).

Those of the house of David, why are they "mourning"?   The Greek word is κόπτω [kop·to] meaning to bewail, lament, beat one's breast for grief.[1] "As the doom of all the peoples (unbelievers) sinks in, they will mourn because of him. Although such mourning is taken by some as grief and repentance, Revelation contains no indication that this will happen. Rather, they will realize that all is lost and that he is about to inflict judgment on them." [2]  However G.K. Beale notes:

"The second citation is from Zech. 12:10ff., which in Zechariah pertains to the end-time period when God will defeat the enemy nations around Israel and the Israelites will be redeemed after repenting of their sinful rejection of God and his messenger (i.e., “the one they have pierced”)." [3] MacArthur agrees: "Zechariah identified the ones who pierced Him as “the house of David” and “the inhabitants of Jerusalem” and prophesied that they will weep tears of genuine repentance because of what they did to their Messiah (Zech. 12:10)" [4]

However there is no indication that this first prophecy is a direct and consistent use of the Old Testament. In fact John is told that this applies to all people.  All will see.  All will mourn.   There is never any indication that at the coming of Christ there will be this opportunity to repent. “But each in turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power.” (1 Corinthians 15:23–24, NIV).

Whatever the case may be, I may be wrong but this I know is that when Christ returns, the whole world, redeemed and those who rejected Him will know that He is who He said He was.  Everyone will know that this is the crucified Christ and reigning King of kings.

Father, what a day that will be, with my face I shall see, the glory and the greatness of my God and King. Maybe today through Your ordained means I will see you face-to-face.  But some day I shall. "I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes—I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!” (Job 19:25–27, NIV).  Prepare me for that day.  Make me holy as You are holy.  Clothe me in righteousness that comes from my Savior.

 
 








____________________________

1. Strong, J. (2001). Enhanced Strong’s Lexicon. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software.
2. Easley, K. H. (1998). Vol. 12: Revelation. Holman New Testament Commentary (15). Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman Publishers.
3. Beale, G. K. (1999). The book of Revelation: A commentary on the Greek text. New International Greek Testament Commentary (196). Grand Rapids, MI; Carlisle, Cumbria: W.B. Eerdmans; Paternoster Press.
4.  The MacArthur Study Bible. 1997 (J. MacArthur, Jr., Ed.) (electronic ed.) (1992). Nashville, TN: Word Pub.
 
 

No comments: