Search This Blog

Monday, January 13, 2014

Who Am I? - Revelation 4

The same Christ whom John witnessed in the Spirit on earth among the Churches and speaking to him; is the same Christ who is in this vision of the heavenly throne room. What John witnesses is the glorified experience of the God of all creation receiving worship at the throne.   Revelation 4 is not a new passage to me.  It is probably been preached and taught myriads of times and places.   One of the unique impressions that I have of this chapter is the sole and singular attention that all heaven gives to God.

Imagine being at a function where one person present is constantly holding the attention of everyone else.  All the words and behaviours are directed towards this one person.   I might think at some point, why am I here What's the point of me? Now I don't mean this is a self-serving, narcissistic way.  What I mean, from the point of view of God, is that all heaven is giving him glory therefore earthly attention seems pale if not unnecessary.  To ask this different I could pose the question as the psalmist did?

“What is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?” (Psalm 8:4, NIV).

A glimpse at the glory of God is a death-blow to human pride.  All the fanciful ideas that "God created man for relationship;" or "God needs me-kinda-theology" falls like dandruff on the floor.   One glimpse of God enthroned in Heaven begs the question, "Who am I?"  That question will be answered in Revelation 5, but for now we should allow it to rip and tear all the human pride from our existence and stand nakedly humble before God.  It is all about Him.

Father, what an amazing picture You gave to John about your existence.  You sit enthroned in Heaven.  All creation worships you.  All the hosts of heaven give you continual and ongoing praise. As Creator worship is what happens to You.  There is no human pride, no human accomplishments, no human merits in Heaven.  It is all about You.  

"Who am I, that the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love and watch me rise again?
Who am I, that the voice that calmed the sea
Would call out through the rain
And calm the storm in me?" - Casting Crowns.

  


No comments: