Search This Blog

Monday, August 11, 2014

Do You Swear to Obey at All Costs?

Psalm 119:105–112 (NIV),

Declaration of Following God's Direction

105 Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. 
106 I have taken an oath and confirmed it, that I will follow your righteous laws. 

          Commitment to Trust, Praise and Receive God's Direction in Suffering
            107 I have suffered much; preserve my life, Lord, according to your word. 
                  108 Accept, Lord, the willing praise of my mouth, and teach me your laws. 
          109 Though I constantly take my life in my hands, I will not forget your law. 
                  110 The wicked have set a snare for me, but I have not strayed from your precepts. 

Heartfelt Joy in Following God's Direction
111 Your statutes are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart. 112 My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end.

Father, I'm not quite sure about this oath business.  I recall that when Daniel was taken to Babylon, he decided in his heart to follow You.  I think that is a worthwhile rite.  That is to take an oath to obey You.  Oath taking is serious.  Elsewhere You warn us about taking oaths.  Besides, it is You that says, "Do not take the name of the Lord in vain."  This is weighty stuff.  A part of me wants to say with all the zeal of Peter, "Lord I will never disobey You."  But I know Peter.  I'm a lot like Peter. Lord, I hope it's not a cop-out but as much as this sinner desires to make this commitment to You, would You allow by Your grace and mercy such a covenant?  I desire with all my heart to obey You. I would like to be the kind of man that reads Your Word and obeys without hesitation.  Even as David reveals in this song, may I be willing to obey You in spite of and in the midst of suffering.   Lord I long that by Your Spirit you would make Your law the delight of my soul.  Keep my heart fixed Oh Lord.  Keep it fixed.  For Your glory and my joy.  Amen.

No comments: