Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

A Genuine Pastor's Heart

Galatians 4:12–20 (NIV),

12 I plead with you, brothers and sisters, become like me, for I became like you. You did me no wrong. 13 As you know, it was because of an illness that I first preached the gospel to you, 14 and even though my illness was a trial to you, you did not treat me with contempt or scorn. Instead, you welcomed me as if I were an angel of God, as if I were Christ Jesus himself. 15 Where, then, is your blessing of me now? I can testify that, if you could have done so, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me. 16 Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? 17 Those people are zealous to win you over, but for no good. What they want is to alienate you from us, so that you may have zeal for them. 18 It is fine to be zealous, provided the purpose is good, and to be so always, not just when I am with you. 19 My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you, 20 how I wish I could be with you now and change my tone, because I am perplexed about you!

Luther is right when he states that "this place is not dialectical, but full of affections, which must be handled rhetorically." [1]  He means that Paul is not arguing his case here, but is appealing to the Galatians on an emotional level rather than a doctrinal level.  We are to read it that way.    So Paul appeals to the Galatians to hold to the same affection, the same charity that he has toward them.  Not all agree with this interpretation.  For example consider this notation:  "In order to bring the gospel to the Gentile Galatians, Paul had to leave behind the legal restrictions of the Mosaic ceremonial law that forbade Jewish interaction with Gentiles (1 Cor. 9:19–23). Paul became “like” the Galatians in freedom from the law and he now encourages them to be “like” him in freedom from legalistic bondage." [2]

Paul has applied a scathing rebuke to these believers but he affirms that their behavior did not do wrong to him.  In other words: "ye have not offended me, but yourselves, and therefore I am thus troubled, not for mine own cause, but for the love I bear unto you." [3]  Paul then reminds them of his time with them.  He refers to an illness that they bore admirably; and they welcomed him in a godly manner.   "The exact nature of this illness is not known. “Because” apparently means that Paul was detained in Galatia by this illness and therefore took the opportunity to preach to them." [4]  Luther likens this illness as part of Paul's affliction through persecution.  "We see then that Paul calleth “infirmities of the flesh” the afflictions which he suffered in the flesh, like as the other Apostles, the prophets, and all godly men did; notwithstanding he was mighty in spirit . . . Now this infirmity of the flesh in the godly doth wonderfully offend reason. Therefore Paul so highly commendeth the Galatians, because they were not offended with this great infirmity, and these vile [and contemptible] forms of the cross which they saw in him; but received him as an angel, yea as Christ Jesus." [5]

Now Paul plays his trump card.  “What has happened to the satisfaction you felt at that time? There were some of you then who, if possible, would have given your very eyes to me—that is how deeply you cared!” (Galatians 4:15, The Message).  What has changed?  "Am I an enemy because I told you the truth,?" Paul asks.  And then "he reproveth here the flattery of the false apostles. For Satan is wont, by his ministers, through wonderful subtilty and crafty sleights to beguile the simple, as Paul saith: “With fair speech and flattery they deceive the hearts of the simple” (Rom. xvi. 18)." [5]

"As if he said: True it is that they are very zealous towards you, but by this means they seek that ye again should be zealous towards them and reject me." [5]   Zealousness and a seemingly loving approach do not in themselves mean that these false apostles are sincere.  They are simply 'sheepstealers.'  "It is fine to be zealous, provided the purpose is good." [6]  "It is good for someone to take a warm interest in you in an honorable manner. Paul zealously sought the Galatians for Christ, and he welcomes all such efforts in relation to the gospel of Christ." [7]

Verse 19 exudes the tone of a true pastor, a true shepherd of the flock: “My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you,”  "In the OT, the image of a woman in distress during childbirth is juxtaposed with an act of great deliverance (Isa 42:14). Jesus also used this imagery when speaking to His disciples (John 16:21–22). Paul hopes that this letter will deliver the Galatians from the agitators’ distortion of the gospel." [8]

"Now, the form of a Christian mind is faith, or the confidence of the heart that layeth hold upon Christ, and cleaveth to him alone, and to nothing else." [9]  Paul would rather be there with them than write to them.  He believes his tone would be different in that case.  He longs to care for them as a true shepherd.  “. . . I am perplexed about you!” (Galatians 4:20b, NIV).   This is the Greek word ἀπορέω meaning: to be without resources, to be in straits, to be left wanting, to be embarrassed, to be in doubt, not to know which way to turn, etc. [10]   "Paul was at his wits’ end, not knowing the best way to prevent them from the error into which they were drifting." [11]  This too is the heart of a true pastor. The false shepherds have all the answers.  The true shepherds are perplexed within but know the One who does have the answer!

Father this is an insightful, challenging, comforting, convicting paragraph from Paul's pen.  As a pastor, it is timely and relevant.  Sometimes the shepherding of Your sheep is the most perplexing task.  With a sincere love for the truth and the people to whom You have given me responsibility I am often amazed at what I hear and see.  I think of those brothers and sisters who are affirming and kind and yet seem to unconsciously run after teachers that carry false and destructive messages. It's a quandary! Do they not hear me?  Is their applause simply fool's gold?  Father I pray that my heart will remain as the Apostles, loving and kind -- hopeful and confident, in You.  It's not about me.  It is my pride that assumes that everything I say and do has substantial affect.  Sometimes we have to hear things over and over to get it.  At the same time I do appreciate the love and encouragement that I get.  I will live with these times of perplexity and trust you to work them through.  I have a Great Shepherd.  To even His disciples He said they were "slow of learning."  But I too am His disciple and am no better than any other.  My Lord must look at me many times and be perplexed. "Why doesn't he get it?" He must think.   Thank you for the Cross.  Thank you for the Blood.  Thank you for the truth that nothing can snatch me from Your hand.   Lord Jesus, become fully formed in me and my Church.  Grant a Spirit-wrought revival of Christian maturity, for the glory of Christ. Amen.







___________________________________________
1. Luther, M. (1997). Commentary on Galatians (Ga 4:12). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.
2. Whitlock, L. G., Sproul, R. C., Waltke, B. K., & Silva, M. (1995). The Reformation study Bible: Bringing the light of the Reformation to Scripture: New King James Version (Ga 4:12). Nashville: T. Nelson.
3. Luther, M. (1997). Commentary on Galatians (Ga 4:12). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.
4. Crossway Bibles. (2008). The ESV Study Bible (2252). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.
5. Luther, M. (1997). Commentary on Galatians (Ga 4:13). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.
6. The New International Version. 2011 (Ga 4:18). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
7. KJV Bible Commentary. 1994 (E. E. Hindson & W. M. Kroll, Ed.) (2393). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
8. Barry, J. D., Heiser, M. S., Custis, M., Mangum, D., & Whitehead, M. M. (2012). Faithlife Study Bible (Ga 4:19). Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software.
9. Luther, M. (1997). Commentary on Galatians (Ga 4:19). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.
10. Strong, J. (2001). Enhanced Strong’s Lexicon. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software
11. KJV Bible Commentary. 1994 (E. E. Hindson & W. M. Kroll, Ed.) (2393). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

No comments: