Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Hating Love for the Unrepentant.

Psalm 119:113–120 (NIV),


113 I hate double-minded people, but I love your law. 114 You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word. 115 Away from me, you evildoers, that I may keep the commands of my God! 116 Sustain me, my God, according to your promise, and I will live; do not let my hopes be dashed. 117 Uphold me, and I will be delivered; I will always have regard for your decrees. 118 You reject all who stray from your decrees, for their delusions come to nothing. 119 All the wicked of the earth you discard like dross; therefore I love your statutes. 120 My flesh trembles in fear of you; I stand in awe of your laws.


Psalmist’s Love For God’s Law
Psalmist’s Response to the Wicked
but I love your law.
I hate double-minded people,
You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word. 
Away from me, you evildoers, that I may keep the commands of my God!
Sustain me, my God, according to your promise, and I will live; do not let my hopes be dashed. 117 Uphold me, and I will be delivered; I will always have regard for your decrees. 
You reject all who stray from your decrees, for their delusions come to nothing. 119 All the wicked of the earth you discard like dross; 
 therefore I love your statutes. 120 My flesh trembles in fear of you; I stand in awe of your laws.


Father You have placed me here in this world, along with my brothers and sisters, in an environment where ungodly people surround us, live with us and work with us.  There is at times a desire to withdraw from them.  Elsewhere You teach us that this is not the right response.  They need Christ and they need salvation for You are a terrifying and holy God.  There does seem a time when withdrawal is right though and that is when our unbelieving friends make it hard for us to fully obey You. Lord grant grace and wisdom in those moments, to do what is right.  Those are precarious moments when we have to separate ourselves from wrongdoers.  Sustain us in those times when we have to make hard decisions.  Lord, may the end of the wicked never be forgotten. Your judgment is terrifying.  We long for justice to be done Father, but we also long for the salvation of the lost.  The hatred of the wicked seems odorous to us, but even You hate the wicked -- even Your wrath is upon those who will not repent.  This seems so harsh and so unlike a loving God.  But Father you do not love the unrepentant at the expense of the love for Your holiness and Your glory.  Yet is was Your love that sent Christ into this wicked world to save sinners such as I.  Thank you Father for Your mercy.  May I love the sinner in a similar way by bringing Christ to them.  For His glory and for the eternal joy of all peoples.Amen



No comments: