Search This Blog

Friday, September 12, 2014

God's Care Over His Servants

Psalm 119:121–128 (NIV),


121 I have done what is righteous and just; do not leave me to my oppressors. 
122 Ensure your servant’s well-being; do not let the arrogant oppress me. 

                       123 My eyes fail, looking for your salvation, looking for your righteous promise. 

                                       124 Deal with your servant according to your love and teach me your decrees. 
                                       125 I am your servant; give me discernment that I may understand your statutes. 

                      126 It is time for you to act, Lord; your law is being broken. 

127 Because I love your commands more than gold, more than pure gold, 128 and because I consider all your precepts right, I hate every wrong path. 

There is a premise in the Old Testament that is understood in this way:  If you are a servant of a master, he is responsible for your well-being.  The psalmist can legitimately appeal to God for help because he is God's loyal servant; and his hope is in God's promises and God's steadfast love.

Father, there is something in me that resists demanding of You.  I am reluctant to suggest that I have done right so now You must do Your part. I don't understand David's brashness.  I can't see myself praying to You that way. Yet David knew his own sin.  I doubt if he thought that You act because Your people are perfect.  He truly did love Your laws and he truly did seek to obey You.  For me to deny that, it is to deny Your work of regeneration in my life.  I do feel so unworthy, but Your grace, based upon nothing I have done has brought me into Your household of mercy.  And because I am part of that household, I can expect, not because of me, but because of Your promises that You will care for me.  As my Lord and my King, You have pledged to provide and protect.  Your faithfulness is never a question.   Anything in me that desires to please You, is by Your grace.  Therefore I do not deny it.  So Father today I recall that I am Your servant.  You are my Benefactor.  I love You and I love Your commands.  I seek to obey You.  Protect me according to Your promise.  Preserve me according to Your lovingkindness.   Your ways are better than all the treasures of the world.  I'm amazed at Your grace. Amen.



No comments: