Search This Blog

Friday, September 26, 2014

The Road to Thanksgiving (An Exposition of Psalm 116) - Pt.3

The introduction to this song of thanksgiving is found in Psalm 116:1–2 (ESV)

1 I love the Lord,
because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy.
 2 Because he inclined his ear to me,
 therefore I will call on him as long as I live.

The songwriter starts with an emphatic, “I love”. The psalmist’s reason why he loves is because the LORD heard him when he cried for mercy.  Answered prayer promotes loves for God.  He repeats the response of God, “Because he inclined his ear to me.”  The literal rendering of the Hebrew: “and in my days I will cry out.” [1] Thus it seems that the psalmist is committing himself to call upon God because he knows God is listening.  

Because the Lord always "hears" the prayers of his people, the psalmist "loves" the Lord, being encouraged to call on him "as long as I live" (lit., "in my days"; cf. Isa 39:8, "in my lifetime"; similarly Ps 63:4; cf. 116:9, "in the land of the living").” [2] The faithfulness of God ignites our love to Him. “The psalmist expresses his deep affection for the Lord, grounding it in God’s own love toward him.” [3]

Because God answers prayer we love Him.  Because God answers prayer, we continue to call upon Him. “Continual love flows out of daily answers to prayer.” [4]

Father what an amazing thought in these opening lines.  I want to love You more.  I want to know greater love, affection and esteem for You my heavenly Father.  How do I do that?  Answer?  Ask more from You!  That is amazing.  Where else can it seem fitting to ignite greater love for someone by asking for more from them?  What an amazing God You are!  What affection am I missing when my life is prayer-less!  Father, I am dependent upon You, grant me the spirit of prayer and with that grant me an overwhelming love for You.  To know You better and love You more, would be amazing! 





1.  https://bible.org/netbible, Psalm 116, Translators Note 4
2. Expositor's Bible Commentary, The, Pradis CD-ROM:Psalms/Exposition of Psalms/BOOK V: Psalms 107-150/Psalm 116: Be at Rest, for the Lord Is Good/I. Thanksgiving (116:1-2), Book Version: 4.0.2
3. Whitlock, L. G., Sproul, R. C., Waltke, B. K., & Silva, M. (1995). The Reformation study Bible: Bringing the light of the Reformation to Scripture: New King James Version (Ps 116:1). Nashville: T. Nelson.






No comments: