Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Road to Thanksgiving (An Exposition of Psalm 116) - Pt.5

This great personal psalm of thanksgiving was used in the congregational liturgy of the Jewish church.  It was part of the Egyptian Hallel.   I have already suggested that the form and structure of the psalm transmitted the core message.  That message was this: When we reflect on the mercies of God it results in a life-changing contemplation of His works and a commitment to live in loyalty to Him.  We see that pattern in the first half of the psalm and it is repeated in the second.  Note:

The Circumstance

10 I trusted in the Lord when I said, “I am greatly afflicted”; 11 in my alarm I said, “Everyone is a liar.” 

In the midst of the trial, the psalmist still trusted, still believed.  He was able to see through the men that harassed him and saw them for who they are: vain, empty and liars.

The Contemplation

12 What shall I return to the Lord for all his goodness to me? 

Based upon the goodness of God and His faithfulness, the psalmist then goes into his own thoughts and asks this important question: "What shall I return to the Lord?"   Or, "How can I repay the Lord?" Of course the question is rhetorical and there is no answer.  In fact there should not be an answer.  It is a vain thing to try to pay back God (see Romans 11:35-36),   As we see in verse 17 below, gratitude is often expressed in asking God for more!

At this point we need to be careful.  The psalmist is not suggesting that a committed lifestyle is a means of repaying God for His goodness. To repay grace annuls grace. But there is a pious response that is normal. True gratitude does promote holy living. It's the result of, not in payment for God's goodness.  

The Commitment

13 I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord
14 I will fulfill my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people. 15 Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful servants. 
16 Truly I am your servant, Lord; I serve you just as my mother did; you have freed me from my chains. 
17 I will sacrifice a thank offering to you and call on the name of the Lord
18 I will fulfill my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people, 19 in the courts of the house of the Lord— in your midst, Jerusalem. Praise the Lord.

"As a token of his thanksgiving, the psalmist brings "a thank offering" (v.17) together with a drink offering (cf. Num 28:7), which he calls "the cup of salvation" (v.13). At the time of the thank offering, he called again "on the name of the LORD" (cf. vv.2, 17); but this time, not to ask for deliverance, but to thank the Lord and praise his holy name for his fidelity to his promises." [1] All this adds up to one word: worship!   We say thank you by worshiping. 

In tomorrow's blog we will look more closely at this "commitment" that the psalmist makes.

Father, in Your deliverance You help us see things more clearly.  Your deliverance also gives discernment.  We start to see people for who they really are by seeing You for who You really are. When You hear and respond to our need there is something within our independent, self-sufficient, merit-seeking, pride that wants to pay you back.  How foolish!  We cannot.  Your grace simply brings us to our knees in humble, thankful worship.  Your mercies cause us to value You, honor You, love You more and more.  Your precious promises make You more precious.  Thank you, Father, for Your grace to us this day.  May this day resound in worshipful living and Christ-centered loving.  Amen!



__________________________________
1. Expositor's Bible Commentary, The, Pradis CD-ROM:Psalms/Exposition of Psalms/BOOK V: Psalms 107-150/Psalm 116: Be at Rest, for the Lord Is Good/VI. Vows of Thanksgiving (116:12-14), Book Version: 4.0.2


NOTE:

A. Part 1 of this article is found HERE.
B. Part 2 of this article is found HERE.
C. Part 3 of this article is found HERE.
D. Part 4 of this article is found HERE.

No comments: