Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

You Do What You Are.

Psalm 119:137–144 (ESV),


137 Righteous are you, O Lord, and right are your rules. 138 You have appointed your testimonies in righteousness and in all faithfulness. 

                     139 My zeal consumes me, because my foes forget your words. 140 Your promise is well                       tried, and your servant loves it. 
                      141 I am small and despised, yet I do not forget your precepts. 

142 Your righteousness is righteous forever, and your law is true. 143 Trouble and anguish have found me out, but your commandments are my delight. 144 Your testimonies are righteous forever; give me understanding that I may live.

Sandwiched between the psalmist's love and commitment to the words and precepts of God is his praise of the righteousness of God.   Righteousness in Hebrew is צַדִּיק tsaddiq meaning,  just, righteous:—blameless, innocent, etc. [1]   

Father, I understand the point that the psalmist is making. I know in my heart that what you do is right.  But Your ways are not my ways; and Your thoughts are no my thoughts.  Sometimes it is hard to look at what You do and see justice and goodness in it.  But when I remember that You are righteous therefore by extension everything You do is righteous, then that brings contentment.  You do what You are.  Therefore I will hold onto Your words and with Your grace I will seek to obey You for they speak of Your goodness and Your righteousness.  My obedience bring glory to Your Name.  I don't always understand what You are doing.  I don't always see You.  But Your righteous testimonies are always available to me and in them I find You.   Help me Father to live For You; to delight In You; not forget what comes From You.   Amen!




_________________________________________
1. Thomas, R. L. (1998). New American Standard Hebrew-Aramaic and Greek dictionaries : Updated edition. Anaheim: Foundation Publications, Inc.

No comments: