Search This Blog

Monday, September 29, 2014

The Road to Thanksgiving (An Exposition of Psalm 116) - Pt.4

In a previous Blog, I noted that the psalmist's structure was communicating a message.  He introduced his subject in verses 1-2 and now he remembers a circumstance where God intervened in his life. He contemplates that; and then follows through with a commitment to the Lord.  We see that in verses 3-9:

The Circumstance


3 The cords of death entangled me, the anguish of the grave came over me; I was overcome by distress and sorrow. 4 Then I called on the name of the Lord: “Lord, save me!” 5 The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. 6 The Lord protects the unwary; when I was brought low, he saved me. 

We notice the words that he uses about his crisis:
  1. The cords of death entangled me.
  2. The anguish of the grave came over me.
  3. I was overcome by distress and sorrow
Then the psalmist prayed; and he found the Lord to be gracious, righteous and compassionate. This was a man that was in "the valley of the shadow of death."  Some may relate to this.  I have been spared.  But even the casual reader can at least envision the desperateness and severity of his condition. The psalmist finds in God saving mercies.

Contemplation

7 Return to your rest, my soul, for the Lord has been good to you. 

The answer to prayer then prompts the writer to preach to himself.  Answered prayer should result in peace of mind. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6–7, NIV)

Commitment

8 For you, Lord, have delivered me from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling, 9 that I may walk before the Lord in the land of the living.

Verses 8 and 9 pronounce this commitment. Because God has delivered him, the psalmist sees a purpose -- that being: that I may walk before the Lord in the land of the living. "The psalmist asserts that he will live in continual obedience to God. All of his actions will withstand God’s inspection." [1]

Again, I think there's a pattern here of worship and thanksgiving.  Reflecting on God's mercies to us ought to result in an inward solitude and outward godliness.  True thanksgiving out to be revolutionary.  

Father it is hard to relate to the near-death reality of the psalmist.  In general You have granted me a pretty safe and easy life.  But there have been many times in my life where I have called to You for help and You have answered according to Your gracious will.  The point of this psalm is that this answered prayer should bring peace and comfort to my soul and holiness to my walk.  I've never thought this way before.  This is an entirely new way of thinking.  Answered prayer deepens my love for You; brings peace to my soul and propels me to live in godliness.  May Your kindness to me never go unnoticed again.  May answered prayer be revolutionary in my life.   Help me Lord Jesus.  I love You.



_________________________________________
1. Barry, J. D., Heiser, M. S., Custis, M., Mangum, D., & Whitehead, M. M. (2012). Faithlife Study Bible (Ps 116:9). Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software.

NOTE:

A. Part 1 of this article is found HERE.
B. Part 2 of this article is found HERE.
C. Part 3 of this article is found HERE.




No comments: