Search This Blog

Monday, September 22, 2014

The Rule To Live By.

Galatians 6:16–18 (NIV),

16 Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule—to the Israel of God. 17 From now on, let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus. 18 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers and sisters. Amen.

Now Paul adds this conclusion.  "Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule."   What is the rule that he is referring to?  Luther writes, "This is the only and true rule wherein we ought to walk, namely, the new creature." [1] That is from the verse just preceding, e.g., "he speaketh of the new creature, which is neither circumcision nor uncircumcision, but the new man created unto the image of God in righteousness and true holiness which inwardly is righteous in the spirit, and outwardly is holy and clean in the flesh." [1]

Other Commentators think that Paul's conclusion is more general, as applying to the Gospel.  For instance, "man needs a standard or a measuring rod to guide his steps. The law was a failure, so God has given us another standard, placing all our hopes of salvation in the crucified, buried, risen, and coming again Christ." [2]  Actually I find that verse 15 is amplifying verse 14.

May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is the new creation.” (Galatians 6:14–15, NIV)  

So, I think that "the rule" applies to verse 14.  The rule is don't glory in the flesh; glory in the Cross. And to those who do, they will experience peace and mercy.   Then Paul identifies this group that glories only in Christ and the Cross.  He calls them the Israel of God.    "As if he said: They are the Israel of God, which with faithful Abraham believe the promises of God offered already in Christ, whether they be Jews or Gentiles, and not they which are begotten of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, after the flesh." [1]  This, of course, was handled by Paul in Galatians 3.  This is a clear contrast to ethnic Israel. "Those who received the Saviour who came through Israel are true Israelites, spiritual descendants of Abraham." [2].   This is the group were the promises of God and the peace and mercy of Christ belong.  

"I have faithfully taught the Gospel as I have received it by the revelation of Jesus Christ; whoso will not follow it, let him follow what he will, so that hereafter he trouble me no more." [3] Paul has expended his ammunition.  He has stated his case.  And to put the final nail in the argument he points to his own suffering.  Luther explains this well:

Paul is saying that "the marks that be in my body do show well enough whose servant I am. If I sought to please men, requiring circumcision and the keeping of the law as necessary to salvation, and rejoicing in your flesh as the false apostles do, I needed not to bear these marks in my body. But because I am the servant of Jesus Christ and walk after a true rule, that is, I openly teach and confess, that no man can obtain the favour of God, righteousness and salvation, but by Christ alone, therefore it behoveth me to bear the badges of Christ my Lord: which be not marks of mine own procuring, but are laid upon me against my will by the world and the devil, for none other cause but for that I preach Jesus to be Christ." [3]

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers and sisters. Amen.” (Galatians 6:18, NIV) "A fitting conclusion to the letter in which Paul is most intensely concerned with God’s grace. The benediction summarizes Paul’s hope that among the Galatians the gospel of God’s grace will triumph." [4]  He begins and ends the Letter with grace.   

Steve and Vicki Cooke [5] wrote the words to this song:

I will glory in my Redeemer
Whose priceless blood has ransomed me.
Mine was the sin that drove the bitter nails
And hung Him on that judgment tree.
I will glory in my Redeemer
Who crushed the power of sin and death
My only Savior before the holy Judge
The Lamb who is my righteousness
The Lamb who is my righteousness.

This is my song of praise to You Father, this day as I conclude this great Letter.  My only Savior -- who is my righteousness.   Thank You Father.  Praise You, Jesus Christ. All glory to the Lamb.




____________________________
1. Luther, M. (1997). Commentary on Galatians (Ga 6:16). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.
2. KJV Bible Commentary. 1994 (E. E. Hindson & W. M. Kroll, Ed.) (2402). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
3. Luther, M. (1997). Commentary on Galatians (Ga 6:17). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.
4. Whitlock, L. G., Sproul, R. C., Waltke, B. K., & Silva, M. (1995). The Reformation study Bible: Bringing the light of the Reformation to Scripture: New King James Version (Ga 6:18). Nashville: T. Nelson.
5© 2001 Sovereign Grace Worship (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing (IMI))

No comments: