Search This Blog

Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Delight of Discovery. The Conduit of Grace.

Psalm 119:129–136 (NIV),


129 Your statutes are wonderful; therefore I obey them. 
130 The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple. 
131 I open my mouth and pant, longing for your commands. 

132 Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name. 
133 Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me. 
134 Redeem me from human oppression, that I may obey your precepts. 
135 Make your face shine on your servant and teach me your decrees. 

136 Streams of tears flow from my eyes, for your law is not obeyed.

Father, I am immediately captured by the emotional impact that Your Word has on the Psalmist.  The opening and closing affections form the essence of this prayer.   "Your statutes are wonderful . . . streams of tears flow from my eyes."  Father to those who drink deeply in Your Word and seek to follow Your direction the summation their response is one word: WONDERFUL. The reason is clear because it more than just words -- it's an unfolding of light for those who dig.  That's where the joy comes from.  It's to the humble, not the proud.

But Father I can see many who fail to long; fail to discover; fail to apply and my response is like David -- I cry.  Oh how much is missed in life!   Father I pray for my family, my brothers and sisters and my friends who have never captured the joy of discovery -- never fallen prey to the wonder and the exhilaration of discovery.  No wonder their lives are secular and boring.

As for me Father, I pray, "Turn to me . . . Direct me . . . Redeem me . . . and Make Your face shine upon me."   Grant grace to me today, Father, for in Your Word, You are.  Your Word is simply the conduit of grace that brings me Yourself.  Thank you Father.  Forgive the many times when this is absent in my life.   May Your Words and Your grace be upon my lips, this day.  For the sake of Jesus, Amen.

No comments: