Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

“Jesus I Know. Paul I Know. Who are you?” – Part 5

II – EVALUATING THE TEXTS INFERRING THE LEADING OF THE SPIRIT.

Fallible vessels are the conduit for the infallible work of the Spirit and out of necessity must rely on an infallible source to validate their claims.  Opponents offer various New Testament references that seem to refute my claim, therefore I am examining each text to see if in fact it does.  In this Blog I look at 1 John 2:27 .   You can read the previous Blogs by clicking here:  Part 1Part 2, Part 3 and Part 4.

I have examined Romans 8:14, Galatians 5:18, an important text in John 16:12-14 and also 1 John 5:6, 10.  None support the notion of direct, authoritative revelation given to the Believer.  But what about 1 John 2.27?

5. 1 John 2:27 (ESV)
27 But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him.

We can readily see by the context (v26) that what is spoken about is a means of dealing with false and deceptive teaching.   How are we to discern what is true?  “Well we have an anointing, says the inspired author.  There can be little doubt that the anointing is a person and the Person is the One who indwells you. Now the apostle goes on to teach us that the presence of this inner anointing, the Holy Spirit functions as a witness to that which is true. “...you have no need that any one should teach you; as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie. (1 John 2:26b)

These words would seem to dismiss even the attempt to write a Blog on this subject:  “You don’t need to be taught.”  It also seems to contradict other passages that speak of teaching, preaching and edifying one another in this manner.  What can this possibly mean then? How then could John say, "you do not have any need of a human teacher?" The explanation lies in the level at which this kind of teaching takes place.  In Matthew 13 our Lord makes a profound assertion as to the rationale of teaching in parables.  Note what He says in verse 13,

This is why I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.” (Matthew 13:13, ESV)

There are several levels of comprehension.  The first is with the ears.  The second is with the ears and the third is in the soul.   We know from 1 Corinthians 2 (particularly verses 6 and following) that it requires the Holy Spirit to give that understanding that occurs at the heart level.  Listen to what Paul prays in Ephesians 1:16–19 (ESV),

16 I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, 18 having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might.

Ray Stedman correctly observes: 

It requires the operation of the Holy Spirit, to understand, to grasp the immensity of these tremendous things, to be thrilled and gripped with the excitement of what God has set before us. This then is why we do not have any need of human teachers. At this level, only God can do this. Only the Spirit of God can touch the human spirit and give insight to it.[1]

But we’re not finished yet.  Notice that this anointing teaches you “everything”.  Are Christians so honored to know everything?  No, the context is talking about the discerning of truth from error.  This verse does not eliminate the need for human teachers; rather, it highlights the adequacy of the Spirit’s instruction and guidance. The Spirit enables the believer to distinguish the truth of Christianity from the deceit of heretical propaganda.  Listen to the words of David as they relate to this:

Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day. Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts. I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep your word. I do not turn aside from your rules, for you have taught me. How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way.” (Psalm 119:97–104, ESV)

So John finishes with this call to us: “. . . But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him.” (1 John 2:27b, ESV)

I am arrested by this words for they draw me back to the teaching of our Lord,
If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.” (John 15:7, ESV)
Now this obedience is absolutely essential.  You and I are to open the Word, pour over it, pray fervently that the Spirit of God will convince us of the truth of it and we are to obey that which the Spirit applies to our lives through our hearts.  Again, this verse does not eliminate the need for human teachers; nor does it eliminate the need for careful study of God’s Word.  Rather, it highlights the adequacy of the Spirit’s illumination to convince us of truth and sufficiently apply it to our lives.



[1] http://www.pbc.org/dp/stedman/1john/0148.html

No comments: