Search This Blog

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Today's Sufficient Grace

1 Kings 19:18 (ESV),


18 Yet I will leave seven thousand in Israel, all the knees that have not bowed to Baal, and every mouth that has not kissed him.”   

The NIV correctly translates the verse: Yet I reserve seven thousand in Israel . . ..”  The seven thousand is likely an approximate figure representing a greater truth. The number seven is the number of God's perfect number.  The seven thousand represents, as Paul declares in Romans 11:4–6 (ESV),

"4 But what is God’s reply to him? “I have kept for myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal.” 5 So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace. 6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace."

Throughout the ages there is a remnant, chosen by grace.  The Elect of God, freely and mercifully kept by His sovereign power -- not of works, but of grace.   

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.

No comments: