Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Defeating Sin With Sin. Can It Be True?

Galatians 2:19 (NIV),   19 “For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God."

These words disrupt worlds.  These words turn heads.  These words will stand as the formidable weapon against our enemies.  These words bring comfort and peace to the troubled heart.  These words stand as the key that turns the tightly closed mind of the skeptic.  "These are marvellous words, and unknown kinds of speech, which man’s reason can in no wise understand. And although they be but few, yet are they uttered with great zeal and vehemency of spirit, and as it were in great displeasure." [1]

Paul is talking about two laws (as he did in Romans 7: “But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.” (Romans 7:6, NIV)).  There is a new law the law of the Spirit that trumps the old law.  "He calleth grace itself the law, giving a new name to the effect and working of grace." [1] 

The Law accuses and condemns, but there is another Law that accuses and condemns that Law. How does that work?  Luther explains:

"Therefore when I feel the remorse and sting of conscience for sin, I behold that brazen serpent Christ hanging upon the Cross. There I find another sin against my sin which accuseth and devoureth me. ow, this other sin (namely in the flesh of Christ) which taketh away the sin of the whole world, is almighty, it condemneth and swalloweth up my sin. So my sin, that it should not accuse and condemn me, is condemned by sin, that is, by Christ crucified: “who is made sin for us, that we might be made the righteousness of God through him” (2 Cor. v. 21. In like manner I find death in my flesh, which afflicteth and killeth me: but I have in me a contrary death, which is the death of my death; and this death crucifieth and swalloweth up my death." [1]

Christians who feel condemned by the Law need to look in faith to another Law.  The very sin that brings low is found as we look to Christ.  There that sin is, upon His body on the tree.  That very sin is condemned in Christ.  There is our hope and comfort.  There can be no peace anywhere else.

But there is another profound thought within this pregnant verse.  "Except thou be dead to the law, thou canst not live to God." [1]   You cannot both be alive to God and alive to the Law.  You cannot be justified by the Law and justified by Christ synonymously. There is no mixing and blending Law and Grace.  Both have separate and irreconcilable kingdoms.  We find our hope, our confidence our life in Christ alone or not at all.  Therefore the Reformers were to stress sola -- alone.  Many believe in Christ but not Christ ALONE.  Many believe in grace through faith, but not ALONE.   

Grace cannot entertain Law for it swallows Law, killing it a permanent and conclusive death.

Father, in these somewhat strange and complicated ideas, there is for me a balm in Gilead.  There is healing for the soul and rest from anxiety.  But oh it is a fitful sleep.  It is a battle.  Thus the inspired writer calls us to work hard to enter that rest.  Resting in Christ alone is not stormless.  It is a battle.  Oh how my flesh would love to atone for my own sins.  Oh how my flesh would love to gain even a smidgen of merit.  Oh how I would love to cuddle and coddle this old man.  But I cannot.  I can only look to Jesus the author and finisher of my faith.  I can only look up at the Crucified One and see every broken commandment -- every broken Law -- every missed opportunity -- every intentional, willful act of rebellion.  There it is.  It is on Jesus.  The Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world.  The Law of Grace wins.  The Law of sin and death dies.  Praise be to God who through Christ Jesus gives us the victory.  Amen.



_______________________________
1. Luther, M. (1997). Commentary on Galatians (Ga 2:19). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc. 

No comments: