Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Nothing Short of Perfection

Psalm 119:1–8 (NIV),


1 Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord. 2 Blessed are those who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart— 3 they do no wrong but follow his ways. 4 You have laid down precepts that are to be fully obeyed. 5 Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying your decrees! 6 Then I would not be put to shame when I consider all your commands. 7 I will praise you with an upright heart as I learn your righteous laws. 8 I will obey your decrees; do not utterly forsake me.

Eternal Father, my eyes have been opened to the beauty of this psalm -- this psalm that is known for so many things but rarely thought of as a psalm that triggers a prayer-switch in a heart that is breaking and in desperate need of You.  I would love to be that blessed man: blameless, obedient, doing no wrong with a heart that seeks You.  I respond immediately and think, "Who can possibly live up to that standard?"   Of course no one.  So it must be a fiction.  It must be just a hypothetical situation. But no!  You have commanded us to obey your precepts.  This is no joke.  I must obey You.  I must obey You perfectly.  To follow You heart, soul and body would guarantee that I will never be ashamed.  I have no choice.  

But I can't.  

But Father I will seek to learn from You with a heart of thanksgiving.  How is that possible?  How can I do what is impossible?  Your Spirit teaches me I cannot, but there is One that has.  He is Your perfectly obedient Son.  He totally glorified You while on earth.  He did everything You asked Him. He is without blame.  He is perfect.  Today His record of achievement is mine. Today I can obey You with praise because He gave me His righteous record to be my own.  He gave me what I could never, ever earn.  Therefore today I praise You as I seek to learn how to live.  I am resolved to obey You because my record in Christ is clean.  Because I am clean, with Your help I can live in that beauty and wonder.   

Do not utterly forsake me.  I am far from perfect in reality -- in actuality.  So in my failings, my faltering, my forsaking You, please do not forsake me.  I need You today, Lord.   Come Father by Your Spirit and fill this broken, sin-ridden vessel, not because I deserve it, but because Christ came and poured Himself in this sinful world for wicked, unrighteous men like me.  Continue to empty Yourself into me, for the glory of the Savior.  Amen.

No comments: