Search This Blog

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Direction Through Despondency

Psalm 119:25–32 (NIV),

25 I am laid low in the dust; preserve my life according to your word. 
                         26 I gave an account of my ways and you answered me; teach me your decrees. 
                         27 Cause me to understand the way of your precepts, that I may meditate on your                                           wonderful deeds. 
28 My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word. 
                       
            
29 Keep me from deceitful ways; be gracious to me and teach me your law.     
30 I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I have set my heart on your laws.  
31 I hold fast to your statutes, Lord; do not let me be put to shame.    
32 I run in the path of your commands, for you have broadened my understanding.

Father, there is a weariness, even a depression that is inevitable in this life.  Some of it is caused by the decay and the groaning of our wasting bodies, some of it is caused by poor choices and some of it is caused by assaults of the Evil One.  It doesn't seem to matter why we get depressed, what seems to matter is what we do with it.  The ebbs and flows of life are normal but what is paranormal is to be able to fight through those dark days of the soul with strength and courage.  Perhaps depression is a good time to evaluate our ways.  It's a good time to do an accounting.  There is a way that seems right but it leads to more trouble.  In this world that Lewis called Shadowland, I pray that You would cause me to know and understand Your Word.  In this world of blackness and chaos grant me the enabling grace to hold on tight to Your Word and remain faithful.  In the slough of despondency, grant resiliency. I cannot bounce back with stiff upper lip on my own.  I need supernatural, Christ-exalting, Tomb emptying power in days of depression.  I have none of that. Help me I pray; and help me to rebound so that my obedience increases, not decreases, in days of sadness.

In the Valley there is a Word for us.  Strengthen and sustain us according to Your Word. This is Your Promise. “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand” (Isaiah 41:10, NLT)," You promise.  With the Psalmist we pray, But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them sing joyful praises forever. Spread your protection over them, that all who love your name may be filled with joy” (Psalm 5:11, NLT).


 
     



No comments: